March 3, 2012 · Updated 9:50 AM

The home in the centre of the frame was destroyed by fire on the evening of Saturday, March 3. The fire was located on Greeley Crescent in Revelstoke's Columbia Park neighbourhood. / Aaron Orlando/Revelstoke Times Review

Update from 9:45 a.m. Monday, Mar. 5

All five residents and the family dog of a Greely Crescent home managed to escape a fire that extensively damaged their home on Saturday night.

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services Fire Chief Rob Girard said the department got the call at 8:18 p.m.

“As our engines were approaching the area of Columbia Park, the flames were visible from the Trans-Canada Highway, so we knew we had a substation structure fire," Girard wrote in a statement.

He said crews quickly extinguished the fire in the carport and managed to protect a nearby home.

Girard said the building "sustained substantial structural damage" creating issues for firefighters as they overhauled it for over two hours.

There were no injuries in the incident. The family involved was given assistance by Revelstoke's Emergency Social Services program.

PHOTO: A Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services view of the blaze.

Girard said the fire was still under investigation, but he pointed to a barbecue stored in a carport attached to the building as the cause: "The fire chief would like to remind residents to exercise extreme safety at all times during the year when using your barbecue and have a working fire extinguisher close to or near by the area you are cooking," Girard said.

"Barbecues are, more often than not, the cause of residential house fires," he added.

Original story from late Saturday night:

A fire destroyed a home in Revelstoke's Columbia Park neighbourhood on Saturday night.

The fire on Greeley Crescent was discovered sometime around 8 p.m. Witnesses on scene said flames could be seen coming from the building as firefighters arrived.

Several Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services vehicles were on scene battling the blaze by around 9 p.m.

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services were still working on the fire at about 9:30 p.m. and were not immediately available for comment.

The building appeared to be totally destroyed. Parts of the building were reduced to the frame only and thick black smoke poured from several windows.

There is no word on any injuries.

Check back to on Sunday for the full story.


If you hear of any public appeals to help the family involved, please leave a comment below.