News

Home damaged in downtown fire

Firefighters work to extinguish a blaze at 108 Fourth St. East on Saturday night. - Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services
Firefighters work to extinguish a blaze at 108 Fourth St. East on Saturday night.
— image credit: Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services

A downtown Revelstoke home received significant fire and smoke damage following a fire on Saturday night.

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services says they were called to a blaze a 108 Fourth St. E on Saturday, Mar. 11, at 8:37 p.m.

"Upon arrival, fire crews quickly gained entry to the basement and extinguished the fire," said Fire Chief Rob Girard. "The two occupants of the residence were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene and much of the fire was extinguished by a split water pipe caused by the fire."

It took 15 firefighters about one hour to extinguish the fire.

The home received "substantial fire and smoke damage affecting electrical and plumbing," said the fire department in a news release.

Girard said the fire resulted from wet clothing being ignited by a wood stove in the basement.

Emergency Social Services was activated to help the two residents find lodging.

We encourage an open exchange of ideas on this story's topic, but we ask you to follow our guidelines for respecting community standards. Personal attacks, inappropriate language, and off-topic comments may be removed, and comment privileges revoked, per our Terms of Use. Please see our FAQ if you have questions or concerns about using Facebook to comment.

Community Events, March 2017

Add an Event