BACK TO SCHOOL In 1909 students in Garnet Valley attended a school in their area. Their teacher was Miss Ballantyne. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

A century ago, Summerland had numerous small schools

Schools existed in Garnet Valley, Meadow Valley, Prairie Valley, Trout Creek and Summerland

More than a century ago, students Summerland and the surrounding areas attended small schools.

The school in Garnet Valley opened in 1907. It closed temporarily in 1911, reopened in 1913 and closed permanently in 1919. Miss Ballantyne (her first name is not known) was the first teacher at the school and Ruth Dale was the last.

The school was one of several schools in outlying areas around Summerland

Mineola, known today as Meadow Valley, was a lumber town 16 kilometres from Summerland. There were 10 students in the area.

READ ALSO: Summerland heritage buildings still standing today

Eventually the area received some government funding in the amount of $150 which was put towards constructing a school. It was build by volunteers. Teachers at the school included: Ada Murray, Ms. Roadhouse, Ms. Caldwell, Ms. McLachlan, Mrs. Spears and Mrs. Lee. The school eventually shut down around 1923 when the mill closed.

Prairie Valley had a school from 1906 to 1911. Alva Elliot was the teacher.

The first school to open in Trout Creek was in 1906. It closed in 1911.

In 1916 there were enough children in Trout Creek to warrant having another school. When the home of the Brown family was vacated it became a school building in Trout Creek.

READ ALSO: Time to count the days until graduation

In 1917 a new school facility was opened on Johnson Street. It was closed in 1922.

In the early 20th century, children in Summerland, children attended a small school located at the foot of what was know as Chinaman’s Gulch in the Lowertown area.

In addition the Summerland Supply Company store was used as a school for Grade 6 and 7 students. Later on principal J.C. Robson tried to persuade the government that the community needed a high school. His persistence finally led to the construction of a two room school which was built in 1909.

Two years later an elementary school was built which temporarily closed outlying schools.

In 1922 an eight room school was constructed for Grades 1-8. High school was taught in a four room school until the current high school (Summerland Secondary School) was built in 1951.

In 1948 the eight room elementary school formerly known as Summerland Elementary, was expanded to 12 rooms and renamed MacDonald in 1951. The new name recognized long time principal S.A. MacDonald. The school operated on Rosedale Avenue until 1999, when it was demolished.

To report a typo, email:
news@summerlandreview.com
.



news@summerlandreview.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Environment Canada issues snowfall warning for Trans Canada Highway

Expect 20-30 cm from Eagle Pass to Rogers Pass

Interior Health issues warning about opioid-laced stimulants causing recent overdoses

Interior Health is urging residents using or considering using drugs to reconsider… Continue reading

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for Nov. 14

120 years ago: Revelstoke Herald, Nov. 11, 1899 The Knights of Pythias… Continue reading

Revy Let’s Talk: Falling down – mental health in the fall

Using our online system, Shelley Bird shared her experience and the experience… Continue reading

City of Revelstoke hires new director of engineering

Steve Black will be starting Nov. 18

VIDEO: B.C. couple creates three-storey ‘doggie mansion’ for their five pups

Group of seven, who Kylee Ryan has dubbed as the ‘wandering paws,’ have a neat setup in Jade City

Port Alberni mom takes school district to court over Indigenous smudging, prayer in class

Candice Servatius, who is an evangelical Christian, is suing School District 70

Family of B.C. man killed in hit-and-run plead for tips, one year later

Cameron Kerr’s family says the driver and passengers tried to cover their tracks

Chilliwack family’s dog missing after using online pet-sitting service

Frankie the pit bull bolted and hit by a car shortly after drop off through Rover.com

B.C. wildlife experts urge hunters to switch ammo to stop lead poisoning in birds

OWL, in Delta, is currently treating two eagles for lead poisoning

B.C. First Nations drop out of court challenge, sign deals with Trans Mountain

Upper Nicola Band says deal represents a ‘significant step forward’

Pedestrian struck and killed in Kamloops accident

Kamloops RCMP responded to the incident at 5:30 p.m. Friday night

VIDEO: B.C. man trapped under ATV for days shows promise at Victoria hospital

Out of induced coma, 41-year-old is smiling, squeezing hands and enjoying sunshine

Most Read