125 Years Ago: Kootenay Star, December 16, 1893
There were about 200 extra people in town, with the hotels being full to overflowing, and every house and shack occupied, one dwelling-houses having 20 occupants. A great number of the newcomers were Italians who were working on the Arrowhead branch line railway.
120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, December 10, 1898
The proceeds of the public school concert to be held next Thursday in the Opera House will go towards defraying expenses for a school janitor. The government did not provide any assistance towards this cost, and since Revelstoke is not yet incorporated, a provincial grant could not be obtained.
110 Years Ago: Mail-Herald, December 12, 1908
The first annual masquerade ball held by Fire Brigade No. 1 at the Opera House was the social event of the season, with more than 100 people in attendance. The costumed dancers came out in a Grand March and mingled together in an ever-changing kaleidoscopic whirl which had never been seen before in Revelstoke.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 12, 1918
With the flu ban lifted, Revelstoke was able to hold a public meeting of Thanksgiving to mark the end of the Great War. The program included hymns and anthems by the combined church choirs, and addresses by Dr. J. H. Hamilton, representing the returned soldiers, and by Rev. B.C. Freeman. The Victory Loan Flag was presented to the City of Revelstoke.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 12, 1928
The city was preparing a by-law providing for the establishment of a garbage removal system to come into effect on January 1, 1929.
The decision was made due to the practice of dumping ashes on streets and lanes. It was felt that a man with a horse and rig could cover the town in a week to remove ashes and other garbage.
A small monthly fee was to be added to the water and light accounts.
75 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 16, 1943
City workers raised two large evergreens on Mackenzie Avenue. The trees were strung with coloured electric lights. Located at the First and Second Street intersections, they occupied a commanding view, being visible for the full length of First and Second Streets, east and west, as well as along Mackenzie Avenue.
70 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 16, 1948
Revelstoke Ski Club installed a rope tow and electric lights on the base of Mount Revelstoke just up from the hospital (Alpine Village Mall location.) The hill became known as Hickory Run, and was in operation until the 1960s.
50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 12, 1968
The rates for skiing on Mount Revelstoke were as follows: Adult season ticket: $50. Students over 14: $30; Junior: $20; Family: $65. The rope tow was $1 for adults and .50 cents for children.
40 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 13, 1978
The Christmas Parade on December 9 was noted as one of the best in recent history.
The prize for best float went to Revelstoke Co-op store for their flying saucer float. A 20-foot “Stokey the Snow Worm” drew a great deal of attention.
30 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 14, 1988
B.C. Justice Mr. Oppal granted an injunction forbidding the closure of Jordan Road.
The road had been closed by local resident, Phil Beattie, since September 21, in a dispute over ownership and access to the road. The closure impeded access to the city landfill.