120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, August 24, 1898
Ed Adair, who had mineral claims on Laforme Creek had an encounter with a silver tip grizzly bear. He and his nephew were crossing a slide when they came face to face with the large bear. It rose on its haunches intending to make an attack, and Adair struck it in the chest with his axe. The bear continued after them, but they got away down the hill. In their haste to get away, Adair fell and badly injured his shoulders, but they were thankful that they got off so easily.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 22, 1918
Sam Parsons has started up the Mountain Garage in the Orange Building on Second Street West, and is now installed in repairing automobiles. Mr. Parsons is equipped with all the necessary paraphernalia to look after the needs of your machine, and guarantees satisfaction.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 22, 1928
Captain James Troup, manager of the B.C. Coast Steamship Services of the CPR announced his retirement after 56 years continuous service on the Pacific Coast and inland B.C. He was captain on several of the lake and river steamboats that once made Revelstoke a port of call.
80 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 26, 1938
The manual training and domestic science building was completed next to Revelstoke High School on Third Street East. The building, constructed by Pradolini Bros., included a woodworking shop, and kitchens for home economics classes.
75 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 26, 1943
Many of the Japanese men who had been located in work camps along the Revelstoke to Sicamous highway had been relocated to camps in the prairies and Eastern Canada, for work on farms, and in logging operations.
70 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 26, 1948
The once-palatial CPR steamer SS Bonnington was in service as a barge between Arrowhead and Beaton. The Bonnington was the largest boat on the Arrow Lakes, at 209 feet long, with a dining room almost 72 feet long. The boat featured furnishings of golden oak and mahogany, and had 62 staterooms. It operated on the Arrow Lakes between 1911 and 1931.
60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 21, 1958
The contract for the new 975-foot suspension bridge over the Columbia River was awarded to Sir Lindsay Parkinson Canada Limited in the amount of $850,242. The bridge was completed in 1961.
50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 22, 1968
$1000 dollars a pound has been offered for chunks of metal which dropped from the meteorite which appeared over Revelstoke on March 31, 1965. It was thought that the impact occurred near Albert Canyon or in Glacier National Park. Dr. Edward L. Fireman of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge, Massachusetts was in town looking for samples.
40 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, August 23, 1978
The Chuckwagon Café, formerly the Top Hat Café, opened in Farwell Plaza. They advertised Chuckwagon Burgers for $2.25, as well as hard ice-cream and homemade pies.
30 Years Ago: Front Row Centre, August 24, 1988
As part of the downtown revitalization project, designer Bob Inwood was working with local students Kim Kass, Jason Yee, and Tanya Munroe and local historian Ruby Nobbs to create a heritage walking tour brochure highlighting Revelstoke’s heritage buildings.