125 Years Ago: Kootenay Star, December 23, 1893
J. Fred Ahlin opened a store on Front Street (opposite the Columbia House) for the sale of groceries, stationery and Swedish goods. Gottfreid Ahlin was in charge of the new business.
120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, December 21, 1898
The party who took a new pair of ladies’ overshoes (by mistake) from Tapping’s Opera House on the night of the Firemen’s dance, can have the old ones which were left in their place by applying at the Police station on Front Street.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 19, 1918
A 300 yard long toboggan slide was completed, just a five minute walk from town. Lights were placed along the track for evening use. A speedy descent is assured.
Indeed, some have said too much so, but a toboggan slide must be fast.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 19, 1928
Christmas Dinner at the King Edward Hotel was advertised for December 25 at a cost of $1.25 for adults and .75 cents for children under 15. It was noted that there would be “favors” given with each plate, and a music festival to take place in the parlor after dinner.
80 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 22, 1938
The new theatre in the former Lawrence Hardware building was opened to the public.
The seats, which were shipped from England via the Panama Canal, arrived just in time. The theatre was named the Avolie and was renamed the Roxy in 1959.
75 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 23, 1943
The interior of the Club Café at 119 Mackenzie Avenue, was severely damaged by fire.
The fireproof walls separating the café from the Revelstoke Cooperative Store and the Avolie Theatre kept the fire confined to the restaurant.
60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 18, 1958
A by-law giving the city the okay to sell the municipal electrical works to the BC Power Commission for $310,000 was defeated in a referendum with 235 votes for and 586 against.
50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 20, 1968
Members of the Revelstoke & District Historical Association, with help from the Revelstoke Kiwanis Club, finished dismantling, removing, and then reconstructing three pioneer log cabins as part of a heritage project.
The cabins were located on Oscar Domke’s farm at Blanket Creek.
40 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 20, 1978
BC Hydro called for tenders for the massive concrete dam section of the Revelstoke hydro-electric project.
It was the largest concrete job ever undertaken by BC Hydro. It was to be 152 meters high and would extend 556 meters across the Little Dalles Canyon north of Revelstoke.
30 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, December 21, 1988
The CPR smokestack at the railway yard was removed on December 16.
Original plans to bring it down with the use of dynamite were scrapped and after several bricks were removed from the base, a cable connected to heavy equipment was attached to the stack. A small crowd was on hand as the stack fell southward into the area of what was once the powerhouse.
20 Years Ago: Revelstoke Times Review, December 18, 1998
A crash claimed the lives of two Calgary women, both aged 20, when their car went over the embankment on Fraser Drive, parallel to the Trans-Canada highway and entered the Columbia River. There was speculation that the driver believed that she was on a connector to the highway.