120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, June 28, 1899
An outdoor swimming pool was being planned on Fifth Street West near Connaught Avenue. It was to be 60 feet long x 25 feet wide, and 7 feet deep at the deepest end, tapering to 4 feet. Tickets for the season were to be sold for $5. Editor’s note: We have not yet found anything to indicate that the pool ever opened.
110 Years Ago: Mail-Herald, June 26, 1909
Piled up on a flat car in the CPR yards here on Monday night could be seen a portion of the wreckage resulting from the freight train smash-up at Notch Hill in which five hoboes were killed. The wreckage consisted mostly of car wheels with some shreds of timber from the broken cars.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, June 26, 1919
The Salvation Army was asking Revelstoke for $500 in donations to go towards supporting the troops coming home from the war. The local population supported the program as many people wanted to support the troops but did not know how best to do it, so they found the Salvation Army program to be a good opportunity.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, June 26, 1929
A water works by-law carried, and two by-laws were defeated. Revelstoke lost a new city hall by 12 votes as well as school improvements and a 10,000 government grant. The water works by-law which wanted $60,000 to cover the cost of a two-million gallon water reservoir was passed by a vote of 138 to 36. Less than have of the eligible voters cast their vote.
80 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, June 29, 1939
Thomas D. Kilpatrick, railway pioneer, passed away at Vancouver on June 24, at the age of 82. Kilpatrick worked on railway construction through the Rockies and Selkirks in 1885 as a bridge builder, and rose to the post of Superintendent of the Revelstoke Division. He became known as an authority on avalanche control. He was later asked to assist a British company in building a railway from Chile to Argentina and was in charge of snow shed construction for the project.
While he Revelstoke, he served on the first city council in 1899, and was Mayor in 1913. She was president of the Hospital Society from 1901 until 1915.
70 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, June 23, 1949
The Kinsmen were preparing for the annual Golden Spike Days celebration on June 30, July 1, and July 2. The event was also celebrating the 50th anniversary of the incorporation of Revelstoke. For the third year, a cavalcade of motorboats was planning to come up the Columbia River from Washington, and a huge parade was being planned for Dominion Day, July 1st.
60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, June 25, 1959
The new McInnes Sawmill, just south of Revelstoke, was completely destroyed by fire. Arson was suspected. The mill had only been in operation for three weeks. Rebuilding of the mill commenced immediately and was expected to be in full operation within six weeks.
50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, June 26, 1967
The newly erected St. Ann’s Ukrainian Church was blessed in a ceremony presided over by the Bishop of Edmonton, following a Mass held in the new church. Rev. Albert Corradin and altar boys from St. Francis of Assisi church in Revelstoke assisted at the Mass. A mixed choir consisting of several Ukrainian parishes in the Okanagan Valley led the singing. The church was located on Airport Way, just across the Illecillewaet Bridge, and replaced the former St. Ann’s Church at Mount Cartier.