Low water at the wing dam, near Front Street, autumn, 1920. Emma Roberts photograph. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives Photo P2453)

Low water at the wing dam, near Front Street, autumn, 1920. Emma Roberts photograph. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives Photo P2453)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for May 1

120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, April 29, 1899

The management of Tapping’s Opera House must either devise some method of keeping the occupants of the galleries in order, or else close them up altogether. People go there to enjoy the acting, not to be annoyed with the ill-bred antics of would-be funny smart alecks in the audience.

110 Years Ago: Mail-Herald, May 1, 1909

H.N. Coursier, who lived on Front Street, was awarded $500 in a lawsuit against the Dominion government for damages caused by the erosion of his property owing to the construction of the wing dam in the Columbia River. His suit asked for $5,000, but he was “inclined to accept it (the smaller amount) philosophically.”

100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 1, 1919

Sergeant Chas. A Procunier returned to Revelstoke after his service during the year. Procunier spent two years and four months in a German prison camp. On one occasion, he and other prisoners were isolated on a sandy island in the Elbe River for three months, in an endeavor to force them into submission. Sergt. Procunier was met by his father, Rev. C.A. Procunier, who was engaged in teaching school at Rogers Pass.

90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 1, 1929

Viscount and Viscountess Willingdon visited Revelstoke on their first official visit to the city since Viscount Willingdon was named Governor General of Canada in 1926. The Vice-Regal party was met at the CPR station by Mayor Hector McKinnon, May Queen Beth Thompson, Carnival Queen Mary Hume, and representatives of local patriotic organizations. The party proceeded to Queen Victoria Hospital, where tea was served. The visitors were then driven five miles up Mount Revelstoke, and came back to town to lay a wreath at the cenotaph and inspect a large number of returned soldiers.

80 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 5, 1939

William Wagnor, owner of a local pole yard, began hauling posts from his Big Bend camp at Six-Mile to the CPR industrial spur, on Campbell Avenue. About 25,000 posts were to be hauled and shipped to prairie points. In 1938, the Wagnor organization shipped more than 70,000 posts, mostly to Saskatchewan.

70 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 5, 1949

The well-known asbestos claims at Sidmouth, 20 miles south of Revelstoke, were sold to Acme Asbestos Cement Ltd. of Vancouver. The announcement was made by Dan McIntosh and J.T. Lauthers, who had owned the claims for many years.

60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, April 30, 1959

Moberly Park Manor is the name chosen for the proposed Senior Citizen’s Home. The home will be built at the east end of Moberly Park on First Street.

50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 1, 1969

Two members of ‘D’ Company, Rocky Mountain Rangers, Revelstoke, were selected by the Commander Pacific Region Vancouver for special duty with the 4th Canadian Infantry Mechanized Brigade Group in Europe. Master Warrant Officer Gary Bailey and Warrant Officer Pat Holloway were to leave for Germany on May 14 for a period of nine weeks.

20 Years Ago: Revelstoke Times Review, April 30, 1999

Revelstoke Secondary School will be offering its students who are in Grade 10 or higher the option of taking an introductory course in German. A teacher with a German background was available to teach the class to students.