Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator of Revelstoke Museum & Archives.
120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, May 10, 1899
Bicycle thefts are not just a current problem. On May 6, 1899, Guy Barber, local jeweller, left his bicycle leaning against the side of the Methodist church while he attended choir practice inside. When he left at 10 p.m., he found his bicycle gone.
110 Years Ago: Mail-Herald, May 8, 1909
The CPR officials were warning parents of boys to stop them from jumping on the incoming and outgoing south trains at the Fourth Street crossing. The train crews had done everything in their power to discourage the boys and had warned them of the danger of their practice, but to no avail.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 8, 1919
Wong Low and Wong Sing, proprietors of the Windsor Hotel Café, were charged before Police Magistrate Hamilton of violating the new law, which forbids Chinese restaurants from employing white women or girls on their premises. The magistrate imposed a fine of $5 each and costs.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 9, 1929
J.H. Munro left last week for Beavermouth to meet the first of this season’s hunting parties organized by him to hunt in the Big Bend. The hunters came from Michigan, and in company with Mr. Munro, boatmen, guides and a cook, started around the Big Bend of the Columbia River. They expected to reach Revelstoke in about three weeks. The party had moving picture cameras and a radio in addition to ordinary equipment.
80 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 12, 1939
It was reported at the latest City Council meeting that the Provincial Analyst had found Revelstoke water as being free from animal contamination, and with a very small decimal point of vegetable decomposition. It was proclaimed the purest water in B.C.
70 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 12, 1949
The Gold Range Lodge, Knights of Pythias had completed renovation work on the lower hall of the former Orange Hall building which the organization acquired last year. The building was originally constructed on Second Street West, on the former Mountain View School property, and was moved to 416 Second Street West in May of 1914. The building served as Revelstoke Cable TV office for many years.
60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 7, 1959
Patrons of the Roxy Theatre were experiencing the effects of new sound equipment. Both music and the spoken word were enhanced by the high-fidelity equipment. The change replaced equipment which had been in use since the theatre opened in 1938.
40 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 9, 1979
The official opening of the Revelstoke Community Centre took place with a large crowd in attendance. Premier Bennett hoped that it would “instill a sense of pride and belonging in the community for young people.” The new centre replaced the old Civic Centre, which had served the community for 70 years, originally as the YMCA. BC Hydro contributed one million dollars towards the cost of the construction, with the province contributing $400,000.
30 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 10, 1989
CP Rail opened its new line through Rogers Pass on May 4. The project took nearly five years and $500 million to complete. It included the 14 km Mount Macdonald tunnel, the longest railway tunnel in the Western Hemisphere.