By Cathy English, Curator, Revelstoke Museum and Archives
125 Years Ago: Kootenay Star, April 22, 1893
Navigation of the Columbia River opened up for the season, as the Steamer Marion left Revelstoke under the command of Captain Sanderson, bound for Robson. Of the 30 passengers on board, the majority were bound for Trout Lake City, with the remainder going on to Nelson and Kaslo. The larger steamboats were expected to begin operation within a week.
110 Years Ago: Mail-Herald, April 18, 1908
The local police have their hands full just now with vagrants coming into the city. The jail is constantly full, every bed occupied as well as the corridors. While the night constables are doing their best to be in half a dozen places at once, they cannot keep their eyes on the whole city at the same time, and the residents should take ordinary precaution to protect their property from theft by vagrants.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, April 18, 1918
Daylight Savings Time came into effect in Canada for the first time as a means of allowing for daylight hours for farming and other war efforts. It was estimated that in seven months of 26 working days each individual would gain 182 hours, or more than 22 8-hour days, potentially increasing the efficiency of gardeners by 25 per cent. All citizens were being encouraged to grow war gardens, and the School Board had allowed a portion of the Recreation Grounds (now Queen Elizabeth Park) to be used for gardening purposes.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, April 18, 1928
The federal and provincial governments had announced a joint project to build the Revelstoke to Golden section of the Trans-Canada Highway on a route following the Big Bend of the Columbia River. The Revelstoke Board of Trade was strongly advocating for the road to be built along the more direct route through Rogers Pass. The federal government would not agree to the Rogers Pass route, and construction began on the Big Bend Highway. It was not completed until 1940. The Rogers Pass Highway finally opened in 1962.
75 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, April 22, 1943
RCAF Pilot Office Lester Wadman was listed as missing after air operations overseas. Wadman grew up in Revelstoke where his father was Dominion Lands Agent.
60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, April 17, 1958
The old Tapping Block at the corner of Connaught Avenue and Victoria Road was torn down. It was built by Robert Tapping in 1897, and the first motion pictures in the North Kootenay were shown there. The upstairs was used as a concert hall. In later years it had served as a second-hand store and an apartment house. It was built on what is now the parking lot for City Furniture.
50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, April 18, 1968
Revelstoke School District and others affected by BC Hydro dam projects were disappointed with the Provincial Government’s decision to exempt all Hydro installations from school assessment and taxation. School boards had been led to believe that taxation of BC Hydro dams would come into effect once the projects were completed.
20 Years Ago: Revelstoke Times Review, April 22, 1998
Selkirk Specialty Wood remanufacturing plant opened at Downie Timber yard on April 1st. Plant supervisor Julieanne Howe-Tarzwell said the first phase of the project, the planer operation, increased from one shift to two within a week of starting up, bringing the total work force up to 24 employees. Selkirk Wood is Downie Timber’s entry into the value-added manufacturing field.