Skip to content

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past

Local history as recorded by the newspaper of the day

Compiled by Cathy English, Curator, Revelstoke Museum and Archives

130 years ago: The Kootenay Mail, May 19, 1894

A Sinixt man known as Jim was shot and killed at Galena Bay by settler Sam Hill, who had preempted land at that spot. Jim had asked Hill to leave the area because he had just set bear traps in the area, but Hill stated that this was his land, and that Jim and his wife Adeline should leave. A coroner’s jury originally stated that there should not be a trial, as they believed the death to be in self-defence, but Hill was brought to trial and eventually acquitted.

120 years ago: Revelstoke Herald, May 19, 1904

Arrowhead was described as “The Gateway Town in a Flourishing Condition.” The Big Bend Lumber Company sawmill and the Arrowhead Lumber Company sawmill were both in full operation, and employing large numbers of men. The town boasted three hotels, including the newly erected Union Hotel, which was three stories high and had 50 rooms.

110 years ago: Revelstoke Mail-Herald, May 13, 1914

Fifty men were employed at the Canadian Pacific Lumber Company mill at Pingston, south of Shelter Bay, on the Upper Arrow Lake.

100 years ago: Revelstoke Review, May 14, 1924

The Women’s Auxiliary to the local Great War Veterans’ Association had spent considerable time and expense in cleaning up the graves of the deceased returned soldiers who were buried in the Revelstoke cemetery. They ensured that the graves of the men who had no relatives living here were cleaned and maintained.

90 years ago: The Revelstoke Review, May 18, 1934

Elmer Duncan built seven cabins and a community kitchen on his property on Douglas Street, as Revelstoke’s first cabin tourist camp. The owner, Mr. Duncan, planned to add to the number of cabins as business grows.

80 years ago: The Revelstoke Review, May 18, 1944

The battle standard (flag) of the 1st Battalion, Rocky Mountain Ranges, brought back from Kiska, Alaska, was deposited in St. Peter’s Anglican Church in a ceremony that included a parade of Rocky Mountain Ranges, Canadian Legion members, and the Revelstoke Air Cadet Squadron.

70 years ago: Revelstoke Review, May 13, 1954

Downie Street, which was the dividing line for the city limits, was being prepared for paving by the Provincial Public Works department. Atlas Construction Company of Kamloops was crushing rock in the pit below Queen Elizabeth Park for this and other government paving. Downie Street remained the city boundary until 1981 when the city limits were expanded to include Southside, Arrow Heights, and Big Eddy.

60 years ago: Revelstoke Review, May 14, 1964

The bridge over Downie Creek on the Big Bend Highway, 41 miles north of Revelstoke, collapsed when a log-laden truck went through it. Logs on the truck struck a section of the structure, causing it to collapse. No one was injured. The highways department was putting in a temporary Bailey bridge.

50 years ago: Revelstoke Review, May 16, 1974

Revelstoke Golf Club discussed plans to expand the existing 9-hole golf course, making it an 18-hole course. It was hoped that construction could begin soon, to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Revelstoke Golf Club.

40 years ago: Revelstoke Review, May 16, 1984

Prior to the weekend, electrical power came to Revelstoke via the substation at Vernon to a substation near the Illecillewaet River through a 230,000 volt line. Over the weekend, the supply of electricity was switched over to go through the Revelstoke Dam.

30 years ago: Revelstoke Times Review, May 17, 1994

A fire in the Red & White Supermarket at 413 Second St. West caused more than $50,000 in damage to the store and two apartments above the store. It took nearly 30 firefighters one and a half hours to put out the fire. No one was injured, as the building was empty at the time.

20 years ago: Revelstoke Times Review, May 19, 2004

The Little Chief Slide on the north shore of Kinbasket Reservoir just upstream of Mica Dam was showing some movement, prompting increased monitoring. BC Hydro said the slide had been monitored on a routine basis over the past 35 years, and was not believed to pose any foreseeable risk.