Skip to content

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past: June

Local history as recorded by the newspaper of the day
Enterprise Brewery, circa 1950s. Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo P1633.

Compiled by Cathy English, Curator, Revelstoke Museum and Archives

130 years ago: The Kootenay Mail, June 9, 1894

Record floods were recorded throughout the Province. Properties along the Columbia River at Revelstoke were affected, with several stores on Front Street losing property. Fred Fraser, in Big Eddy, had to move his family into town, and moved a lot of his stock to other farms. Fraser lost over half an acre in strawberries and 130 fruit trees.

120 years ago: Revelstoke Herald, June 9, 1904

The Anglican Synod of British Columbia held in annual session in the Oddfellow’s Hall in Revelstoke, presided over by Bishop John Dart of New Westminster. Priests from throughout the province were in attendance.

110 years ago: Revelstoke Mail-Herald, June 6, 1914

The Enterprise Brewery was being re-built of cement blocks. About six feet was being removed from the front of the building where it extended into the street, and it was being enlarged at the back and both sides. The brewery was originally built in 1897 by partners Charles Holten, Thomas Downs, and J.P. Sutherland.

100 years ago: Revelstoke Review, June 5, 1924

The D.O.K.K. Lodge members held a huge community carnival on June 3rd, which they called the Dokey Trail. There was a variety of booths and games, and hotdog and beverage stands, as well as performances by Revelstoke Independent Band and McMahon’s Orchestra. The event was a fundraiser for a new skating rink.

90 years ago: The Revelstoke Review, June 8, 1934

The Department of National Defence set up work camps across Canada for unemployed men. There were eight camps operating around Revelstoke, holding 450 men. Most of the camps were in the Big Bend north of Revelstoke, working on the highway to Golden. There were also camps at Clanwilliam and Three Valley.

80 years ago: The Revelstoke Review, June 8, 1944

Lieutenant Douglas Boyle, Royal Canadian Navy, originally from Revelstoke, was involved in the rescue of survivors from a German U-boat which sunk in the North Atlantic. HMCS Chaudiere, under the direction of Lieutenant Boyle was in charge of the rescue. Boyle eventually gained the rank of Vice-Admiral and Commander Maritime Command before his retirement in the 1970s.

70 years ago: Revelstoke Review, June 3, 1954

Two good-sized grizzly bears fell to members of the Collier’s Magazine (of New York) hunting party who were hunting up the Jordan River, with local guide George Laforme. Henry Majchrzak, operator of Heather Lodge, joined the group as their camp cook.

60 years ago: Revelstoke Review, June 4, 1964

Cal Upper and David Howrie spotted four baby cougars in the middle of the highway four miles west of Revelstoke. The cougar kittens quickly ran into the woods.

50 years ago: Revelstoke Review, June 6, 1974

John Kyte, provincial museum advisor was in town the previous week and made an inspection of the new museum quarters in the former Post Office building. Mr. Kyte was impressed with the space and the location. The Historical Association was looking forward to the opportunity to properly display their collection, which had been housed in the basement of the health clinic building since 1963.

40 years ago: Revelstoke Review, June 6, 1984

Norm Tennock was named as project construction manager for Canadian Pacific Rail’s tunnel project in Rogers Pass. He had previously worked on both the Mica Dam and Revelstoke Dam and the grain terminal at Prince Rupert. It was announced that the tunnels would be named Mount Macdonald Tunnel and Mount Shaughnessy Tunnel.

30 years ago: Revelstoke Times Review, June 7, 1994

City council had a closed meeting earlier in the year with a representative for a French-Swiss group looking for possible business ventures in this area. They considered the possibility of investing in the Mount Mackenzie ski hill. The City was still waiting for a lawsuit by Orcanon First Capital to go before the BC Supreme Court after the city declared a sale agreement for the ski hill with the company null and void.

20 years ago: Revelstoke Times Review, June 9, 2004

The Howson block on Mackenzie Avenue that was damaged by fire in November 2003 was being rebuilt, with trusses installed in the upper storey.