Revelstoke RCMP Cst. Shewchuk shakes the hand of youngster Max (in green) after the missing boy was reunited at the Revelstoke Tim Hortons with his mom (right) and dad (far left).

Boy, 10, found after urgent search by Revelstoke RCMP

Revelstoke RCMP muster all members, set up highway checkpoints after boy goes missing at Revelstoke Tim Hortons – he's found 45 mins. later

A boy was found after the Revelstoke RCMP launched an emergency search for a 10-year-old who went missing at the Revelstoke Tim Hortons restaurant at about 2:15 p.m. on Wednesday, Mar. 20.

An initial dispatch on Revelstoke RCMP radio just before 2:30 p.m. indicated the Revelstoke boy went to the bathroom at the adjoining Shell station and didn’t return to his waiting mother. She contacted the police, who immediately started a search.

RCMP members could be heard scouring restaurants and hotels in the area around the Revelstoke Tim Hortons. They soon called in all available auxiliary police officers and notified surrounding police detachments, taking steps to set up checkpoints on the highways and the Arrow Lakes ferry.

Police reviewed the video surveillance system from the Shell station and fanned out across town as their search area expanded.

The boy’s mother, Delphine Harvey, was visiting from Ontario. She had dropped the youngster off at the bathroom at the Shell station, then went inside the adjoining Tim Hortons to order.

When the boy came out, he thought his mom had left and decided to walk home. The boy was eventually found near the Southside Market just before 3 p.m. The mother was overcome with relief when the police announced they located the boy, almost 45 minutes after he disappeared at the busy restaurant near the highway.

The father, Gerrard Kampman, was called to the scene from work. He was incredibly relieved to hear his son Max had been found.

“It was a shock. I’m really happy that he was here,” he said.

At one point, the disappearance took an ominous turn; a dispatcher instructed all police members to be on the lookout for a suspicious older man in a minivan seen near Max just before he disappeared.

~with notes and photos from Carl BR Johnson

 

 

Just Posted

Columbia Basin Trust funds $1 million in environment grants

Reptiles, grizzlies and more to benefit from the projects

Revelstoke Community Choir presents Candy Canes & Carols

The Revelstoke Community Choir presented their annual Christmas performance on Sunday and… Continue reading

Funding available for caribou habitat restoration

The Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation is now accepting grant applications

UPDATE: Sagmoen to stand trial

Curtis Wayne Sagmoen will appear on all three Vernon matters this week

Crash temporarily closes Trans Canada Highway near Sicmaous

DriveBC reported the accident at 3 a.m. Monday, Dec. 10

Lawyer for Chinese exec detained by Canada says it’s ‘inconceivable’ she would flee

Meng Wanzhou was detained at the request of the U.S. during a layover at the Vancouver airport

Goodale to ‘examine’ transfer of Rafferty to medium-security prison

Michael Rafferty was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 in the kidnapping, sexual assault and first-degree murder of Tori Stafford

‘Abhorrent’ condition of autistic B.C. boy shows flaws in care system: report

‘Charlie’ was underweight and ‘covered in feces’ when he was removed from his mom’s care

Minister appoints former CIRB chair to resolve Canada Post labour dispute

Postal workers engaged in weeks of rotating walkouts

Kelowna radio hosts aim to get 10,000 items for those in need

B Mack and Karly’s Cold Weather Clothing Drive kicked off Dec. 10, getting cold-weather donations for those in need.

B.C. lumber industry trade mission still has high hopes for China

Forests Minister Doug Donaldson cut short trip after Japan, Korea stops

Snowmobile guide killed in accident on Queest Mountain

Shuswap sledding communty mourns loss of experienced Sicamous snowmobiler

Omar Khadr to ask for Canadian passport to travel, permission to speak to sister

He spent years in U.S. detention at Guantanamo Bay after he was caught when he was 15

One of Tori Stafford’s killers transferred to medium-security prison

Michael Rafferty was sentenced to life in prison in 2012 in the kidnapping, sexual assault and first-degree murder of Tori Stafford

Most Read