Christy Clark cancels political staff raises

Premier Christy Clark has rolled back salary increases for political staff in ministry offices, after getting an earful from B.C. voters

Premier Christy Clark

VICTORIA – Premier  Christy Clark has rolled back salary increases for political staff, after getting an earful from voters.

Clark told reporters Wednesday that salary increases for her chief of staff and new positions with the same title in ministers’ offices will not go ahead.

“I have heard a lot from British Columbians in the last week about this issue of changing the pay scales and pay levels for political staff, so today I am rescinding those changes, because leadership means listening to people,” Clark said. “Although the original change would have meant we were underspending the budget by $100,000, I’ve heard loud and clear that people didn’t like it.”

The lone exception is Clark’s new deputy chief of staff, Michele Cadario, hired for the premier’s office after serving as deputy campaign manager for the B.C. Liberal election campaign. Cadario will receive a salary of $195,148 to do the operations and policy roles formerly done by two people.

Dan Doyle, Clark’s chief of staff, remains at the same salary as Cadario. A government spokesman said Doyle never accepted any raise, but recommended the maximum for his position be increased to $230,000 to attract the best candidate for his successor.

The top rate for ministry chiefs of staff, formerly ministerial assistants, will remain at $94,500 a year. The top rate for them was first increased to $105,000, then rolled back to $102,000 before being cancelled. Five of the people appointed to those jobs have had raises cancelled.

NDP leader Adrian Dix, contacted in Kelowna where he is campaigning in a byelection where Clark hopes to win a seat, said the raises show the government is “tone deaf” to the concerns of ordinary people.

Dix said the decision to scrap the raises is “the first victory for Carole Gordon,” the NDP candidate in the Westside-Kelowna byelection.

Gordon is running in the byelection called for July 10, after Clark was defeated by NDP candidate David Eby in a bid to retain her Vancouver-Point Grey seat.

In the May 14 general election, Gordon lost by nearly a two-to-one margin to B.C. Liberal incumbent Ben Stewart, who resigned last week to allow Clark to run.

 

 

Just Posted

CP Rail Holiday train stops in Revelstoke

Brings a dose of holiday spirit and funds for the local food bank

Turn it up

RAC asks council for summer Street Festival funding increase to hire sound technician

City of Revelstoke passes fire services bylaw

We are doing our end of the paperwork to be ready just in case this comes to fruition: mayor

Suspect in October standoff killed himself: Revelstoke RCMP

Mohammadali Darabi, suspect in Calgary homicide of roommate, was stopped in Revelstoke

Revy. Set. Grow! to build local food system

Weekend of farm-focused events will be hosted in Revelstoke Jan 13-14

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

Debt-to-household-income ratio rises in third quarter

Total household credit market debt grew to $2.11 trillion in the third quarter

Charges in car wash shooting stalled

Court waits for police watchdog report on Salmon Arm incident.

B.C. Mountie told to resign after texting teenage sex assault victim

RCMP documents say Const. Brian Eden sent sexually inappropriate photos to 17-year-old girl

Family doctors should learn to treat addiction, not shun patients: scientist

B.C. Centre on Substance Use’s Dr. Evan Wood said efforts underway to change addiction medicine image

Four dog deaths investigated in Cranbrook

One vet suggests a parallel to these deaths and similar ones in 2016

Meningococcal disease outbreak declared in Okanagan

Five cases in last six months among 15- to 19-year-olds, including one in Vernon

Column: A lifetime of calling bingo numbers

By Leah Blain, Observer contributor “Under the B - 5…under the G… Continue reading

Province rejects Ajax mine in Kamloops

KGHM Ajax had proposed a 1,700-hectare open-pit copper and gold mine, just southwest of Kamloops

Most Read