Update, 1:30 p.m.
Downtown Revelstoke has been re-opened to vehicle traffic and closed buildings have been re-opened after a gas leak was repaired around 1 p.m. Thursday afternoon.
The leak happened after a sub-contractor doing work for the city struck a gas line in the alley behind the Revelstoke Credit Union. The west side of the 200 block of Mackenzie Avenue, the Selkirk Medical building, Second Chance, Brandon Bowers Funeral Home, and the Revelstoke Credit Union were evacuated as a result
A FortisBC crew was sent from Salmon Arm to repair the broken main. FortisBC tweeted that the leak caused 54 outages and that crews would re-light all pilot lights.
Our initial story follows:
A gas leak in downtown Revelstoke has resulted in several blocks being closed off and buildings evacuated Thursday morning.
The leak was caused after construction crews struck a gas main in the alley behind the Revelstoke Credit Union on the 100 block of Second Street West shortly before 9 a.m., said Fire Chief Rob Girard.
FortisBC has dispatched crews from Salmon Arm to repair the leak. In the meantime, the gas pipe is being kept open, said Girard. Repairs are expected to completed around 1 p.m.
People were huddled on intersections surrounding the closure area while the fire department blocked off the area immediately surrounding the scene.
The west side of the 200 block of Mackenzie Avenue, Second Chance, Brandon Bowers Funderal Home, the credit union, and Selkirk Medical building were all evacuated.
Downtown was blocked off to vehicle traffic from Orton to Campbell Avenue and First to Third Street. Pedestrians and cyclists were being allowed through.
The smell of gas permeated the area at least to the Times Review office at Second Street West and Garden Avenue. Firefighters were checking gas levels throughout the area, said Girard.
At the credit union, the call to evacuate came just before 9 a.m. The gas could be smelled instantly, said one employee.
At the Selkirk Medical Clinic, evacuation came just after 9 a.m. Fortunately, there were few patients in at the time, said office manager Terry Marshall.
The Modern Cafe reported a rush of customers as people from the evacuated buildings flocked inside.
The Times Review will update this story as soon as the leak is repaired and the area re-opened.