Elderly man hospitalized with severe burns from propane heater

An elderly man was taken to hospital with significant burns to his body after a structure fire Thursday evening.

An elderly man was taken to hospital with significant burns to his body after a structure fire Thursday evening.

Revelstoke Fire & Rescue Services responded to a call of a person on fire at a residence on the 900 block of Begbie Road at around 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, fire chief Rob Girard said in an e-mail.

“As fire crews were responding, the call elevated to a structure fire”, he said.  “Upon arrival fire crews discovered an elderly male who suffered significant burns to his body.”

The man was treated by first responders and paramedics on scene and taken to Queen Victoria Hospital. Fire crews remained on scene to tackle the blaze at the mobile home.

Girard said the man’s clothes were ignited by a portable propane heater that he was using inside to thaw a frozen water line.

Girard said the incident was a reminder about the dangers of using portable propane heaters indoors.

“This time of the year when it is cold, residents need to exercise extreme caution with space heaters of any kind and the overloading of electrical extension cords in their homes,” he said. “The use of these types products are, more often than not, the cause of residential house fires.”

He also advised to regularly clean out wood and pellet stoves.

 

Just Posted

VIDEO: How are avalanches triggered?

Transportation BC explains tools they use to set off remote slides

Revelstoke based startup to bring RFID technology to 360 degree cameras

Sniper Action Photo operates 30 photo installations in Canada, the U.S., Central America and the Caribbean

Revelstoke Nordic Skiers come away from BC Championships with hardware

Eight athletes pick up aggregate points plaques from racing season

Winter highway maintenance 1km east of Revelstoke

DriveBC reports compact snow with slippery sections on Hwy. 1. and Hwy. 23

Widow of avalanche victim sues Golden Alpine Holiday

Widow of avalanche victim sues several guides, their mountain guide association and the lodge operator for negligence

VIDEO: How are avalanches triggered?

Transportation BC explains tools they use to set off remote slides

How to keep local news visible in your Facebook feed

Facebook has changed the news feed to emphasize personal connections. You might see less news.

Questions raised over B.C. NDP’s childcare budget plan

Advocates concerned how to fill 22,000 new spaces for early childhood educators

Legion seeks community support to keep doors open

It is one of the Vernon’s oldest social enterprises, and on April 30, it may be forced to shut down

B.C. family first to receive reimbursement for life-altering arthritis drug

Effective medication used to treat rare form of juvenile arthritis costs $19,000 a month

Okanagan College hosts open house for Women in Trades program

Providing information for women in the Shuswap on trades careers

Greyhound cleared to end routes in northern B.C., Vancouver Island

Company says nine routes have dropped 30% in ridership in last five years

IIO: Kamloops RCMP did not have to report shooting

The IIO is not investigating an officer-involved shooting that occurred in Kamloops in 2017

No smoke alarm, faulty cord contributed to fatal B.C. fire

Faulty electric cord and power source connected to space heater believed to have caused flames

Most Read