The parents of a toddler who was bitten by a dog at the farmers market said they are asking city council to look into the issue of allowing dogs at the busy market.
“We have requested that city council discuss whether or not they think dogs should be allowed at the farmers market and busy public events,” wrote Alison Lapshinoff in an e-mail to the Times Review.
Lapshinoff’s son Nikolai, who is only 18 months old, was bitten near the eye by a dog at the Revelstoke Farm & Craft Market last Saturday, Sept. 15.
Alison said her son was playing with several other kids in the gazebo during the market when he approached an unattended dog. He first pet the dog from behind and then moved to the dog’s front. She said she tried to move Nikolai away, “but the dog was faster, knocking him over and biting him.”
The bite resulted in Nikolai being rushed to the hospital, where he received seven stitches a quarter-inch above his right eye and two in his head.
“He is healing well,” she said.
The incident sparked an online debate about the presence of dogs at the farmers market, with some people saying they should not be allowed in such a busy place.
Staff-Sgt. Jacquie Olsen of the Revelstoke RCMP, said she is not too concerned about the presence of dogs at the market.
“Not normally because most of the time they’re leashed and well looked after,” she said. “I guess in this case the dog slipped away from its owner. This dog’s never going to go back to the market.”