Four dead, one in custody following Penticton shooting spree

A 68-year-old man has been taken into custody as RCMP continue to investigate

Penticton came to a standstill on Monday as a 60-year-old Penticton man allegedly went on a shooting rampage, killing four people.

Police have remained tight-lipped over the killings, which are the deadliest in the city’s history and the sixth deadliest in modern B.C. history.

READ MORE: Four dead in Penticton shooting spree, one in custody

How it started

RCMP told reporters they received their first call at about 10:30 a.m. Monday morning that a man had been shot in a yard.

On a local Facebook group, Ashley Smethurst posted that “the man trimming the tree in my street got shot ….the gunman is still loose running around (and) more shots fired.”

As further calls came in, police cordoned off Eckhardt Avenue and Lakeshore Drive, as well as Main Street and Power Street.

Supt. Ted De Jager said four people were found dead in three locations within a five kilometre radius. Next of kin are still being notified and the names of the four victims will not be released “unless there is an investigative purpose, which right now there is not.”

Police did confirm that two men and two women were killed.

READ MORE: B.C.’s deadly past: Penticton shooting 6th worst massacre in province’s history

A motive?

Police have yet to release a motive although De Jager told media it was “a targeted event” and Mounties are still working to determine the why behind the attack.

Reports say the shootings stemmed from a neighbour dispute but De Jager did confirm that neither of the female victims were the alleged shooter’s ex-wife.

The suspect

Witnesses say they saw the alleged shooter walking casually up the street, swinging his gun.

“I came outside to check and see what going on. I saw a guy walking up the street with a gun,” said a witness who did not wished to be named.

“I didn’t think much of it at first when I heard the sounds because there are a few other shops around here so I thought someone was hammering something, then I saw the guy with a gun.”

Where it stands

Police say a 68-year-old man, matching the description of the alleged shooter, walked up to the front desk of the Penticton RCMP detachment and turned himself in at 11:27 am. – just one hour after police were first called.

READ MORE: Penticton man charged with murder following shooting spree

A car, a black Volkswagen Jetta, believed to belong to him was seized in the RCMP parking lot.

De Jager said police would be recommending homicide-related charges, although the degree of murder or manslaughter would be determined as the investigation continues.


Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Social media flooded with love for woman found dead on Kelowna beach

“We lost a sister. Because that is what we are it is a sisterhood and I can’t help but feel anything but sadness.”

Revelstoke volunteers needed for Patient Voices Network

There will be an information session next week

BC Timber Sales in Arrow Lakes passes audit

An audit of BC Timber Sales and timber sale licence holders in… Continue reading

Letter: Caribou recovery and the Section 80 application

There are three herds in our Revelstoke Planning Unit

Rain to continue for Revelstoke today

Road events from Drive BC as of 7:40 a.m.: Highway 1 east:… Continue reading

VIDEO: Okanagan fire victim Amy Hansen speaks out on the loss of her four pets

A gofundme page has been started for Hansen, with $1,140 raised of a $5000 goal to help her rebuild

SPCA investigating hen cull at Shuswap egg farm

Egg farm regulator says they are confident cull at was done properly

West Kelowna fire under control

A fire broke out just above Bear Creek Provincial Park Monday

Kelowna Boat Show highlights abandoned boat program

The 24th annual Kelowna Boat Show hits shores April 27 and 28.

‘Cutthroat’ sport of wine tasting happening now in the Okanagan

BC Tasting Games are underway with competitions in three Okanagan communities.

Okanagan Rail Trail a popular place

Thousands pack North Okanagan section over long weekend

B.C. men challenge constitutionality of Canada’s secret no-fly list

Parvkar Singh Dulai says he received a “denial of boarding” notification under the no-fly program last May 17

Murder on B.C. property didn’t need to be disclosed before sale, court rules

Buyer had tried to break contract after learning a man with ties to crime had been murdered there

Kelowna pimp faces 4 year sentence

In court the details of how Simon Rypiak lured 4 women into prostitution revealed

Most Read