Kelowna Mayor Colin Basran reads a prepared statement Wednesday about the shooting threat posted against him online, as his wife Leanne and their two young children (left) and Coun. Gail Given (right) look on. (Alistair Waters - Black Press Media)

Kelowna mayor calls for civility in light of online threat against him

Police say a 52-year-old man was arrested after post on an online forum called for mayor to be shot

Kelowna’s mayor is calling for civility and civil discourse in light of an online threat made against him following a controversial planning decision made by city council Monday.

Flanked by his wife, mother, two young children and two city councillors, Colin Basran read a short prepared statement at city hall Wednesday afternoon, saying the online comments against him that threatened violence were unacceptable.

“Simply put, it is sad that I have to stand here and make a plea for civility and talk about why bullying and harassment is intolerable,” he said.

The online post, which called for Basran to be shot, was reported to police and, as a result, led to 52-year-old Kelowna man being arrested. Police said the suspect was released on a promise to appear in court at a later date.

READ MORE: UPDATED: Suspect arrested after Kelowna mayor receives death threat

The post on InfoNews.ca, was removed shortly after it appeared and other posters on the same conversation board complained about it.

The threat was made after Basran used his mayoral executive privilege to bring back a failed development proposal for the south Pandosy area of the city.

The proposal, for a 20-unit, six-storey residential building on Groves Avenue, was defeated in a 4-4 tied vote last month after a lengthy public hearing.

Some area residents were upset Basran brought the issue back for a second time after it was defeated. On Monday, with a full council on hand, the proposal was approved 5-4.

That sparked online complaints about Basran’s re-introduction of the proposed development.

“It’s unacceptable to me, it’s unacceptable to my family and I am sure it’s unacceptable to the majority of society,” said Basran of the threatening post.

“Democracy is sometimes messy, and controversial issues sometimes generate strong feelings. But that’s what makes our community strong—exercising an open mind, humility and mutual respect and especially with those with whom we disagree.

“The bigger issue here is about civility and a collective commitment to civil discourse. More than ever, it’s vital to challenge those who use personal attacks, online bullying, or vulgar language to stifle opposing points of view.”

He said criticism of council decisions and debating issues facing the community is nothing new, and it often helps lead to better outcomes.

“But online comments made by one of our residents yesterday, encouraging violence, is where I draw the line,” said Basran. “By ignoring the comment and not saying anything, to me, would just be condoning this type of behaviour.”

Following the brief statement—it took Basran just three minutes and 29 seconds to read it—he declined to answer any questions and quickly left the council chambers.

During his remarks, he said as upsetting as the incident was for him and his family, he saw it as an opportunity for the community to grow.

“It’s a reminder that we can disagree with one another, but we can do so respectfully. We all see the world a little differently and that’s a good thing.”

To report a typo, email:
newstips@kelownacapnews.com
.


@KelownaCapNews
newstips@kelownacapnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

City hall refurbishment comes in nearly $500,000 over budget

Revelstoke City Council voted unanimously to move forward despite the increased cost

Williamson Lake to open June 1

The park will be open for day use as well as camping

New task force to look at closing roads to vehicles in downtown Revelstoke

Councillor Cody Younker moved to have the Economic Recovery Task Force do stakeholder engagement

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for May 28

New cigar store, first rememberance day and May Day celebrations

Revelstoke City Hall to re-open June 1

Drop-in hours will be limited and appointments are available

Only four new COVID-19 cases, 228 active across B.C.

Health officials watching as activities ramp up

Parts of the TCT through Princeton will open to motorized vehicles Monday

Parts of the KVR trail through Princeton will open for motorized vehicles… Continue reading

Feds looking at ways to reunite families amid COVID-19 border restrictions with U.S.

Some families with members of dual-citizenship have become separated due to the pandemic

Condition in kids with possible COVID-19 link being studied in Canada

This month, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued an alert to doctors about MIS-C

North Okanagan farmers’ markets excited to welcome artisans back amid COVID-19

Provincial health officer announced non-food items to return to markets this weekend

‘I knew what he wanted’: Kootenay man spends hours in tree as black bear patrols below

Francis Levasseur is no stranger to the outdoors, but a recent run-in with a bear caused quite a scare

COVID cancelled their wedding plans, so they married on a BC mountaintop

Ceremony was live streamed to friends and family around the world

Mother duck and babies rescued from Highway 97 in Lake Country

The mother and nine ducklings were taken to Duck Lake

Chef brings farm-to-table approach to new Shuswap restaurant

Darren Bezanson opening Bistro 1460 at Hilltop Inn

Most Read