Firefighters had to tear open the wall of a home to extinguish a blaze that was burning inside the walls.

Lack of fire detector troubles fire chief after Farwell blaze

Fire chief Rob Girard is expressing concerns about lack of fire detectors after attending to a blaze in Farwell this weekend.

  • Feb. 17, 2015 10:00 a.m.

Fire chief Rob Girard is expressing concerns about lack of fire detectors after attending to a blaze in Farwell this weekend.

In a news release, he said Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services were called to a fire in a cabin on the 500 block of Wilson Street on Saturday at 10:51 a.m.

Girard said the lone occupant of the building had tried to extinguish the fire himself with a spray bottle and pot of water.

Upon arrival, firefighters pulled apart the exterior wall to expose the fire and extinguish it. It took one hour to put out the fire.

Emergency Social Services was activated to help the resident find lodging.

The fire was likely caused by a faulty electrical installation of an exterior light that resulted in an electrical short that sparked the fire in the wood-chip insulated wall, Girard said.

The fire chief’s main concern was the lack of a fire detector in the home.

“What I find troubling is that the unit had no smoke alarms whatsoever, and while I was investigating the fire, I discovered two other units of this rental complex that were missing them as well,” he said.

Fire detectors were installed in all three cabins.

“We keep smoke alarms on our fire engines and command vehicles for instances just like these,” said Girard. “We are glad we can make things safer for these people.”

He issued a reminder to people to check their smoke detectors to make sure they’re working. He also urged people to check for carbon monoxide detectors, make sure they’re not overloading their electrical outlets or powerbars, and make sure chimneys are cleaned regularly.

“If you do a home safety audit today in your home it could save your life or the lives of a loved one,” he said.

 

Just Posted

Revelstoke elementary school teacher brings fun and foundations to the classroom

For twenty one years, Colleen Wall has been shaping Revelstoke’s youth in… Continue reading

Moms of those killed by illicit opioids take to B.C. Legislature in call for action

Moms Stop the Harm, a nationwide network of families who have lost loved ones to overdoses rally

Revelstoke Museum explores the history of the Sinixt First Nation

The Revelstoke Museum and Archives hosted a special presentation Thursday surrounding the… Continue reading

CSRD recycling depots now accepting ‘Flexible Plastic Packaging’

CSRD recycling depots are now accepting items such as stand-up pouches, crinkly… Continue reading

Columbia Basin Trust invests in preserving history

The Columbia Basin Trust recently committed over $2 million to 42 heritage… Continue reading

VIDEO: Canadian toddler caught practising hockey skills in crib

Eli Graveline is getting praise from far and wide as the internet freaks out of cute throwback video

Man shot dead in Surrey ID’d as hockey coach and father of two

Murder of Paul Bennett – a respected Peace Arch Hospital worker and ‘champion of sport’ – ‘not random’

Serial killer Robert Pickton transferred to Quebec: victim’s family

Pickton was convicted in December 2007 of six counts of second degree murder

Mabel Lake Road roll over claims life

Armstrong man died in hospital after single vehicle roll over June 18

Thunder, strong winds possible for Okanagan

Environment Canada released the special weather statement Sunday afternoon

UPDATE: Missing dog from high velocity Kelowna car crash found

Jewels is recovering in the comfort of her home

Canadian Syrian children’s choir not to attend festival over fears about U.S. travel

Many kids are recent immigrants from countries covered by Trump travel ban

B.C. teacher ends Jeopardy! winning streak, taking home US$69,000

Ali Hasan, from New Westminster, has been gaining fans as a “one-man invasion,” says Alex Trebek

Most Read