Firefighters had to tear open the wall of a home to extinguish a blaze that was burning inside the walls.

Firefighters had to tear open the wall of a home to extinguish a blaze that was burning inside the walls.

Lack of fire detector troubles fire chief after Farwell blaze

Fire chief Rob Girard is expressing concerns about lack of fire detectors after attending to a blaze in Farwell this weekend.

  • Feb. 17, 2015 10:00 a.m.

Fire chief Rob Girard is expressing concerns about lack of fire detectors after attending to a blaze in Farwell this weekend.

In a news release, he said Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services were called to a fire in a cabin on the 500 block of Wilson Street on Saturday at 10:51 a.m.

Girard said the lone occupant of the building had tried to extinguish the fire himself with a spray bottle and pot of water.

Upon arrival, firefighters pulled apart the exterior wall to expose the fire and extinguish it. It took one hour to put out the fire.

Emergency Social Services was activated to help the resident find lodging.

The fire was likely caused by a faulty electrical installation of an exterior light that resulted in an electrical short that sparked the fire in the wood-chip insulated wall, Girard said.

The fire chief’s main concern was the lack of a fire detector in the home.

“What I find troubling is that the unit had no smoke alarms whatsoever, and while I was investigating the fire, I discovered two other units of this rental complex that were missing them as well,” he said.

Fire detectors were installed in all three cabins.

“We keep smoke alarms on our fire engines and command vehicles for instances just like these,” said Girard. “We are glad we can make things safer for these people.”

He issued a reminder to people to check their smoke detectors to make sure they’re working. He also urged people to check for carbon monoxide detectors, make sure they’re not overloading their electrical outlets or powerbars, and make sure chimneys are cleaned regularly.

“If you do a home safety audit today in your home it could save your life or the lives of a loved one,” he said.

 

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Butter and sourdough bread is shown at a house in Vernon, B.C. on Wednesday, February 24, 2021. A Quebec dairy farmers’ group is calling on milk producers to stop feeding palm oil or its derivatives to livestock as controversy churns over how these supplements affect the consistency of butter. (THE CANADIAN PRESS - Jesse Johnston)
Poll: Care to spread your feelings on butter?

Reports of hard butter have rattled the Canadian dairy industry

A dose of COVID-19 vaccine is prepared at a vaccination clinic in Montreal’s Olympic Stadium on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Paul Chiasson
39 new cases of COVID-19 in Interior Health region

The total number of cases in the region since the pandemic began is now at 7,334

Arrow Lakes Caribou Society said the new caribou pen near the Nakusp Hotsprings is close to completion. (Submitted)
Maternity caribou pen near Nakusp inches closer to fruition

While Nakusp recently approved the project’s lease, caribou captures are delayed due to COVID-19

Illuminate Spirit Revelstoke Society said Revelstoke’s dark downtown core is unwelcoming. Lighting would make it more inviting and a point of interest. (Liam Harrap/Revelstoke Review)
New community group hopes to ‘light up’ Revelstoke

Illuminate Spirit Revelstoke Society aims to purchase decorative lights for the downtown core

Kootenay-Columbia MP Rob Morrison speaks during Question Period in the House of Commons. File photo.
Kootenay-Columbia MP supports motion condemning Uighur genocide

Rob Morrison says labelling Uighur persecution as a genocide sends a message to Chinese government

Abbotsford’s Kris Collins turned to TikTok out of boredom when the provincial COVID-19 lockdown began in March 2020. She now has over 23 million followers on the video app. Photo: Submitted
Internet famous: Abbotsford’s Kris Collins is a TikTok comedy queen

Collins has found surprise stardom alone with a phone

Kamloops Fire Rescue battled a landfill fire which belched toxic smoke into the air on Feb. 27. (City of Kamloops Photo)
Fire at Kamloops landfill sends thick black smoke into the air

Firefighters made slow progress on the fire throughout the morning.

A Vancouver restaurant owner was found guilty of violating B.C.’s Human Rights Code by discriminating against customers on the basis of their race. (Pixabay)
Vancouver restaurant owner ordered to pay $4,000 to customers after racist remark

Referring to patrons as ‘you Arabs’ constitutes discrimination under B.C.’s Human Rights Code, ruling deems

Approximate location of the vehicle incident. (Google Maps)
Vehicle incident blocking Coquihalla traffic in both directions

Both directions of traffic stopped due to vehicle incident

(HelloKelowna - Twitter)
West Kelowna billboard bearing anti-vaccine messaging deemed misleading

Ad Standards investigated the billboard, noting a lack of evidence to support the messaging

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

Baldy Mountain Resort is temporarily closed following the death of a resort family member. Pictured above is a sunrise at the resort, Feb. 19, 2021. (Baldy Mountain Resort/Facebook)
Baldy Mountain ski hill closed following death of resort family member

Authorities currently investigating, resort set to reopen Sunday, Feb. 27

RCMP. (Phil McLachlan/Capital News)
Chase RCMP arrest intoxicated man running into highway traffic

The man was wanted on several warrents in Alberta; was held overnight but released

Nanaimo children’s author and illustrator Lindsay Ford’s latest book is ‘Science Girl.’ (Photo courtesy Lindsay Ford)
B.C. children’s writer encourages girls to pursue the sciences in new book

Lindsay Ford is holding a virtual launch for latest book, ‘Science Girl’

Most Read