Races at the Penticton Speedway on July 4 saw about 1,500 people gathered in the stands, while others who could not get in gathered on the hillside to watch from afar. (Phil McLachlan - Western News)

Races at the Penticton Speedway on July 4 saw about 1,500 people gathered in the stands, while others who could not get in gathered on the hillside to watch from afar. (Phil McLachlan - Western News)

‘Resistance’ from Interior Health puts races in Penticton on hold

It’s unknown if races planned for this weekend at the Penticton Speedway will take place

It’s unknown if races planned for this weekend at the Penticton Speedway will take place, as the group works to formulate a plan with Interior Health.

On Tuesday, July 14 speedway owner and pit boss Johnny Aantjes explained things are up in the air, and that they are taking it day-by-day.

“Right now we are planned to go for this weekend, but we’re having some resistance from Interior Health, so we’re trying to work with that,” he said.

He cited frustration at what he calls ‘inconsistencies’ and ‘poor planning’ in the government’s COVID-19 strategy, particularly the 50-person limit on gatherings.

“There are so many other similar situations that have a lot more people than (50) that going through their locations, and I don’t want to call out any other businesses but she (Dr. Bonnie Henry) could work with us a little bit and help us get through this a whole lot easier.”

As of Tuesday afternoon, the raceway was submitting another plan to provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry’s office.

Aantjes believes they can hold their event without putting people at risk.

“We won’t put any people at risk, or (we will) limit the risk as much as possible, and we can still hold our event.”

The races on July 18 and 19 were originally expected to host monster trucks, but last week organizers cancelled the main attraction citing their inability to cover costs with a smaller crowd due to social distancing measures.

The speedway’s last event on July 4, which was their first of the season, resulted in the speedway turning away between 500 to 700 cars. About 1,500 were gathered in the stands, with others watching from the hillside surrounding the speedway.

READ MORE: In photos: Penticton Speedway celebrates opening weekend

Speaking to their last event, Aantjes said they would change a few things, but overall was happy with how the event went.

“We had a lot of people at our event, and there were no reported cases that came out of it, so I think that was a good sign,” said Aantjes.

The Western News received some concerns from members of the public in regards to the races taking place, with some stating that it would be hard for 1,500 people to socially distance at an event like this. Others were concerned about those who did not wear masks and claimed that vehicles parked along the road posed a danger to those driving.

Last week the track owner responded to some of these concerns. He said it was difficult to turn away so many people. He also stated at the time they would put more staff in the concession area to reduce the lineups. He also hoped to have more bathroom facilities available.

“The people that parked on the road, police did come by, but I think in the spirit of – I wasn’t collecting any money from those people – but in the spirit of COVID relief if you will, they were kind of letting people watch from that area just to help stop from having so many people inside the racetrack,” said Aantjes.

“I know that having cars parked on the side of the road isn’t great, but to avoid the bigger crowds inside the facility, it was probably necessary, or at the least an option at this point.”

Aantjes isn’t sure when they will hear back about the upcoming races. If they proceed, the races will include Hornets, Street Stock and Hit-2-Pass events, with the Hit-2-Pass vehicles towing boats and trailers as they race.

“It’s going to be a day-by-day deal, and we’ll try to make it happen,” he said.

Interior Health was reached for comment; however they have not responded. This story will be updated with comment from IH when it becomes available.

@PentictonNews
editor@pentictonwesternnews.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Coronavirus

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Terrance Josephson of the Princeton Posse, at left, and Tyson Conroy of the Summerland Steam clash during a Junior B hockey game at the Summerland Arena in the early spring of 2020. (John Arendt - Summerland Review)
QUIZ: How much do you know about hockey?

Test your knowledge of Canada’s national winter sport

A health-care worker prepares a dose of the Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine at a UHN COVID-19 vaccine clinic January 7, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan Denette
Employers might be able to require COVID-19 vaccination from employees: B.C. lawyer

‘An employer must make the case’ using expert science, explains lawyer David Mardiros

Interior Health reported 79 new cases of COVID-19 and two new death in the region Friday, Jan. 22, 2021. (Ben Hohenstatt/Juneau Empire)
79 new COVID-19 cases, two deaths reported in Interior Health

Both of Friday’s deaths were both recorded at long-term care homes

Veteran Henry Kriwokon has his photo taken by the Western as he celebrates his 99th birthday with friends at the Cellar in Downtown Penticton. (Brennan Phillips - Penticton Western News)
Turning 101, Penticton veteran looks back on life

Henry Kriwokon was one of the soldiers in the famous ‘Wait for me, Daddy’ photo

U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders sits in on a COVID-19 briefing with Dr. Bonnie Henry, provincial health officer, and Adrian Dix, B.C. minister of health. (Birinder Narang/Twitter)
PHOTOS: Bernie Sanders visits B.C. landmarks through the magic of photo editing

Residents jump on viral trend of photoshopping U.S. senator into images

Auldin Maxwell stacks the 693rd block on the top of record-breaking Jenga tower on Nov. 29. (Submitted)
Salmon Arm boy rests world-record attempt on single Jenga brick

Auldin Maxwell, 12, is now officially a Guinness world record holder.

Jennifer Cochrane, a Public Health Nurse with Prairie Mountain Health in Virden, administers the COVID-19 vaccine to Robert Farquhar with Westman Regional Laboratory, during the first day of immunizations at the Brandon COVID-19 vaccination supersite in Brandon, Man., on Monday, January 18, 2021. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Tim Smith - POOL
Top doctor urges Canadians to keep up with COVID measures, even as vaccines roll out

More than 776,606 vaccines have been administered so far

From the left: Midway RCMP Csts. Jonathan Stermscheg and Chris Hansen, Public Servant Leanne Mclaren and Cpl. Phil Peters. Pictured in the front are Mclaren’s dog, Lincoln and Peters’ dog, Angel. Photo courtesy of BC RCMP
B.C. Mounties commended for bringing firewood to elderly woman

Cpl. Phil Peters said he and detachment members acted after the woman’s husband went to hospital

Dr. Jerome Leis and Dr. Lynfa Stroud are pictured at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto on Thursday, January 21, 2021.THE CANADIAN PRESS/Frank Gunn
‘It wasn’t called COVID at the time:’ One year since Canada’s first COVID-19 case

The 56-year-old man was admitted to Toronto’s Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre

An Uber driver’s vehicle is seen after the company launched service, in Vancouver, Friday, Jan. 24, 2020. Several taxi companies have lost a court bid to run Uber and Lyft off the road in British Columbia. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck
Taxi companies lose court bid to quash Uber, Lyft approvals in British Columbia

Uber said in a statement that the ruling of the justice is clear and speaks for itself

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good
Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

(Hal Brindley - Dreamstime)
Enderby farmers caught between coyotes and bylaw tickets

The Smith family is stuck in a Catch-22 between protecting their livestock and incurring noise complaints

A COVID-19 exposure has been confirmed at Black Mountain Elementary in Kelowna Saturday, Jan. 23, 2021. (Google Image)
Another COVID-19 exposure confirmed at Kelowna school

Interior Health confirmed an exposure at Black Mountain Elementary School Saturday

Most Read