Revelstoke man among those arrested in nationwide child exploitation investigation

Eleven B.C. men, including one from Revelstoke, arrested and charged in a nationwide child exploitation investigation

  • Jun. 24, 2014 8:00 a.m.

By Roger Knox, Black Press

Eleven B.C. men, including one from Revelstoke, have been arrested and charged in a nationwide investigation spearheaded by the RCMP’s National Child Exploitation Coordination Centre.

The investigation began from coast-to-coast in February.

“To date, we have 32 charges against 11 men,” said B.C. RCMP spokesperson Sgt. Rob Vermeulen. “There are also a number of investigations that remain ongoing.”

The Revelstoke man arrested is 31-years-old and facing six charges: possession of child pornogarphy; accessing child pornorgraphy; producing a controlled substance; invitation to sexual touching; sexual exploitation; sexual assault.

Other men arrested from B.C. are from Kelowna, Burnaby, Duncan, Nanaimo, Sidney, Surrey, Vernon and Williams Lake. Ages of the arrested range from 23 to 65.

More than 150 individuals were arrested or are presently under investigation in the operation which is called Operation Snapshot III.

Five children, including two from B.C., were removed from harm. Vermeulen would not say where the B.C. kids are from.

“For every person arrested and prosecuted, dozens of potential future victims are saved from harm,” said RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson. “Over the past three years, Snapshot has built on the dedication, partnership and collaborative efforts of police agencies, sending a message to would-be abusers that we will not be deterred from protecting children.”

The operation targeted child sex offenders who collect, possess, share, make available, distribute and produce child sexual exploitation material online.

Snapshot III involved 167 investigations that were conducted by municipal, provincial and federal police services, which resulted in the seizure of hundreds of computers and hard drives along with nearly two million images or videos.

Operation Snapshot III follows the two previously successful operations: Operation Snapshot in 2012 targeted individuals in the Prairie and Northern regions of Canada, and Operation Snapshot II in 2013 focused on individuals in Atlantic Canada.

The two operations combined were responsible for the rescue of five children, the arrest of 54 individuals and the seizure of millions of child sexual exploitation images and countless leads in other child sexual exploitation cases.

 

Just Posted

UPDATE: Highway 1 closed near Revelstoke

A vehicle incident has closed Highway 1 in both directions

Mt Cartier Court gifted a wheelchair accessible bus

Mount Cartier Court has been gifted a brand new, top of the… Continue reading

The cost of Christmas light displays

BC Hydro talks incandescent versus LEDs

Snow warning: Bad for the highways, great for the ski hills

Get your ski gear ready as area mountains are ready for you to enjoy all the Interior winter has to offer this season.

Okanagan professor pitches passenger rail

UBC Okanagan engineering prof envisions tram train from Okanagan to Kamloops

VIDEO: Close encounter with a whale near Canada-U.S border

Ron Gillies had his camera ready when a whale appeared Dec. 7

France shooting: 2 dead, several wounded in Strasbourg

A world-famous Christmas market was put on lock down on Tuesday

Canadian warship witnesses possible violations of North Korea sanctions

Crew members on HMCS Calgary took photos and collected other information

Christine Sinclair named Canadian Women’s player of the year again

This is the 14th time Sinclair has been named player of the year

Women charged with stealing money from Okanagan hospice return to court

Susan Steen and Melanie Gray are charged with theft over $5,000 and fraud over $5,000

B.C. man wants trapping laws changed after dog killed

Louis Seguin’s 10-month-old Australian shepherd died in a body-gripping trap last month

Nearly 8,000 homeless in B.C., first province-wide count reveals

Twenty-four seperate counts in B.C. cities found there are thousands of homeless in all corners of province

UPDATE: B.C. judge grants $10M bail for Huawei executive wanted by U.S.

Meng Wanzhou was detained at the request of the U.S. during a layover at the Vancouver airport

Most Read