Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to what was reported as a camp fire near the new Mark Kingsbury pedestrian bridge, but it turned out to be a grass fire almost certainly caused by extreme carelessness.
Revelstoke fire chief Rob Girard said the call came in around 9:30 p.m. “When I approached the area where the camp fire was, it became obvious to me that it was more than a campfire,” he said. He estimates the area on fire was about a quarter of an acre.
The firefighters sent our their bush fire truck. Several firefighters and the chief worked to extinguish the blaze. They were helped by cooperative winds: “The fire was contained to the area as the wind was blowing favorably to an adjacent road making a natural fire break,” Girard said in an email.
As for the cause, it’s as close to a smoking gun as you can get: a 12-shot Roman candle firework laying on the ground near the fire.
“The grasses in the area are hay-like as far as moisture goes and I was disappointed someone would be careless enough to ignite fireworks in an area of that is of a high probability of a fire start,” Girard said.
He reminded residents that using or selling fireworks in the City of Revelstoke is illegal and carries a $1,000 fine.
PHOTO: A Roman candle was found at the scene of the fire. Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services photo