Shuswap man says child pornography collection intended to frame abuser

Accused pleads guilty to possession of images, lawyer argues for no jail time

A Sicamous man who is charged with possession of child pornography said he collected the images as part of a plan to frame a man who abused him.

Duane Denis Redekopp, 46, appeared in Provincial Court in Salmon Arm on Dec. 3, where lawyers for the Crown and defence provided their sentencing submissions to Judge Dennis Morgan.

A date will be set next week for the judge to sentence Redekopp.

“My client was trying to frame somebody else, it goes way back in his life to when he was sexually abused. That’s what he was going to do,” defence lawyer Ian McTavish told the court.

The offence dates back to Jan. 29, 2018 in Sicamous, when Redekopp was found to be in possession of hundreds of images of prepubescent males. He pleaded guilty in April last year but there have been several delays in the court proceedings.

McTavish referred to a doctor’s letter, stating that Redekopp’s partner is very ill with heart disease and lung cancer. Because she depends heavily on Redekopp for daily living, he said he would be seeking a “non-custodial” sentence, one not served in jail.

Referring to case law, Crown counsel Alison Buchanan said sentences for possession of child pornography generally range from six to 12 months jail time followed by two years’ probation.

She said at odds with the large collection of images and videos seized is Redekopp’s denial of having a sexual attraction to such images. She said the number of images and videos, as well as his criminal history, contribute to the risk of re-offending.

Redekopp was convicted of fraud from a government ministry in 2011.

Read more: Salmon Arm RCMP investigate child porn cases involving four or five suspects

Read more: Shuswap man charged for possession and distribution of child pornography

Read more: Kelowna man pleads guilty to child porn charges

Judge Morgan said he thinks it’s the wrong path to focus on the size of a collection. He referred to a point that a defence lawyer had made, that each time an image is viewed, the child depicted in the image is re-victimized. He said if there is a small collection – yet 40 or 50 or 60 children are still victimized, why would that merit a lower sentence.

McTavish spoke at length about Redekopp’s background.

McTavish said he was abused in his youth. He was destructive in kindergarten, evidence that he has had problems from a young age. He used cannabis and alcohol as a young person and, later, crack cocaine. He completed school up to Grade 10 and then completed his GED in Alberta. He and his spouse have been together for 13 years and at the start of their relationship they were heavy users of cocaine. They have worked together to get out of that world, McTavish told the court.

He said Redekop states he has never been involved in sexual offences with anybody, other than being the victim as a child.

McTavish said Redekopp understands this is a very serious matter, he still hasn’t had counselling about the trauma he experienced as a young boy and he’s prepared to do whatever is required to get a better handle on his issues.


@SalmonArm
marthawickett@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Upcoming contruction planned for Revelstoke Schools

Further upgrades at Columbia Park Elementary and playground review at Arrow Heights Elementary

Cougar caught on camera in Lake Country

A Lake Country resident caught a cougar prowling near their home

West Kelowna man charged in relation to cannabis grow robbery in Sicamous

Two suspects remain at large; police believe they left the robbery scene in a white hatchback

Province responds to City of Revelstoke’s food security motion

The city and Union of BC Municipalities put forward the motion last year

Kelowna toddler officially cancer-free

Elara Isagawa’s family is thanking the community for their support throughout her treatment

Law enforcement will patrol shuttered campgrounds this weekend

Patrols will enforce provincial order requiring all such facilities remain closed during COVID-19

B.C., Alberta health ministers urge public to stay home Easter weekend

Regional politicians, online petition calling for closure of provincial border to non-essential traffic

Campfires still permitted in Regional District of Okanagan Similkameen

Restrictions have been implemented elsewhere within valley

Summerland parks remain open for passive use

Users urged to maintain physical distancing to slow spread of COVID-19

Okanagan Indian Band asks visitors to ‘stay away’ during COVID-19

Chief and council asks non-residents not to visit OKIB reserve lands during the pandemic

Would-be visitors to Shuswap over the long weekend asked to stay home

Regional district follows provincial health officer’s lead in telling citizens to stay put this Easter

Shuswap’s Salty Dog Enduro mountain bike race postponed to 2021

Organizers follow direction from provincial/national bodies to cancel May event

Most Read