Summer and Jade Batting hit the ice at the Kelowna New York New Years on Dec. 30, 2017. Image credit: Anna Zeitner/Black Press

Temperatures expected to warm up this week

Temperatures expected to warm above zero this week for much of the Okanagan - Shuswap region

Environment Canada reports the Okanagan, Shuswap and Similkameen are in store for a period of relatively warmer weather.

All regions may even have days where the mercury tips north of the zero degree mark.

In the Central Okanagan, meteorologists are calling for steady temperatures around -8 C today with a 30 per cent chance of flurries this morning and a 70 per cent chance of flurries overnight. Conditions will begin to warm on Wednesday where we are looking at a high of -4 C and cloudy conditions.

By Thursday/Friday the Central Okanagan will see daily highs of -2 C to 1 C.

The South Okanagan will also steady temperatures around -5 C today with a 40 per cent chance of flurries this morning and a 70 per cent chance of flurries overnight. Conditions will begin to warm on Wednesday where we are looking at a high of -1 C, cloudy conditions and a 40 per cent chance of flurries in the early morning.

By Thursday/Friday the South Okanagan will see daily highs of 0 C to 2 C.

Today in the North Okanagan-Shuswap, weather models predict a sunny day with increasing cloudiness later this morning and a high of -9 C. There will be a 30 per cent chance of flurries overnight. Conditions will also begin to warm on Wednesday where we are looking a high of -2 C and cloudy conditions.

By Thursday/Friday the North Okanagan will see daily highs of -1 C to 2 C.

The Similkameen region is calling for a mix of sun and cloud Tuesday with a high of -10 C. There will be a 60 per cent chance of flurries overnight with a risk of freezing rain. On Wednesday cloudy conditions persist with a 60 per cent chance of flurries early in the morning and temperatures holding steady near -7 C.

By Thursday/Friday the Similkameen region may see some more snow with daily highs of -1 C.

For more information on driving in winter conditions, click here.

For up to date details on highway conditions and road closures check DriveBC.

You can also monitor Environment Canada for alerts, warnings and updated forecasts.

Send your best news tips, photos and video by hovering over the Home tab and clicking Contact Us.

To report a typo, email:
newstips@kelownacapnews.com
.


@carmenweld
carmen.weld@bpdigital.ca

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Revelstoke Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence nominees announced

The nominees for the annual Revelstoke Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards… Continue reading

‘Police are ready’ for legal pot, say Canadian chiefs

But Canadians won’t see major policing changes as pot becomes legal

Revelstoke City Council makes moves to protect the look of the downtown core

Revelstoke City Council has issued a development permit for a three story… Continue reading

Revelstoke women’s hockey hosts third annual tournament

The Revelstoke Kodiaks women’s hockey team hosted a tournament last weekend. Dawson… Continue reading

Revelstoke Grizzlies 8-0, playing at home on Saturday

The Grizzlies are 8-0 so far in the regular season after another… Continue reading

Sunny skies for the week ahead

Environment Canada is forecasting clear skies for the Okanagan and Shuswap

Trump: Saudi king ‘firmly denies’ any role in Khashoggi mystery

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is travelling to the Middle East to learn more about the fate of the Saudi national

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies at 65

Allen died in Seattle from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

South Okanagan man alleged to have exposed genitals to children

Penticton RCMP said incident occurred at the Kiwanis Park

Transport Canada to take new look at rules, research on school bus seatbelts

Canada doesn’t currently require seatbelts on school buses

Sockeye run in Shuswap expected to be close to 2014 numbers

Salute to the Sockeye on Adams River continues until Sunday, Oct. 21 at 4 p.m.

Michelle Mungall’s baby first in B.C. legislature chamber

B.C. energy minister praises support of staff, fellow MLAs

Canucks: Pettersson in concussion protocol, Beagle out with broken forearm

Head coach Travis Green called the hit ‘a dirty play’

5 tips for talking to your kids about cannabis

Health officials recommend sharing a harm reduction-related message.

Most Read