Three residential fires in one day: No smoke detectors in home with six renters

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to three different house fires on Mar. 8, including two in homes with inadequate smoke detectors

This Mar. 8 residential fire in the 1800-block of Illinisky Road started when snow slid off the roof

Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to three different house fires on Mar. 8, including two residences with inadequate smoke detectors. Here is a summary of the incidents:

— At 1:50 a.m. Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services responded to a structure fire in the 500 block of Moss Street. “Upon arrival fire crews entered the basement area and quickly extinguished the fire, located at the electrical panel contained within the house,” said Fire Chief Rob Girard in a statement. “The six renters of the residence were out of the building when fire crews first arrived on scene. What is alarming about this fire is that there were no working smoke alarms at the time of the fire in this rental residence.”

Girard said it was fortunate the renters weren’t yet asleep and smelled the smoke. If they hadn’t been awake, “the outcome of this fire could have been much different,” Girard said.

It took 18 fire personnel just under an our to overhaul the fire.

Girard said the fire was electrical in nature.

—Firefighters were back in action at 11:33 a.m., responding to a 911 call from the 1800-block of Illinisky Road.

The resident was waiting outside. Firefighters searched the mobile home and then extinguished a fire on the roof.

Girard said the fire was caused by snow sliding off the roof; it ripped off the main electrical service wire, causing an arc fire on the roof.

“I was glad to see this residence had two working smoke alarms at the time of the fire in this residence,” Girard said.

—At 10:20 p.m., firefighters responded to a 911 call from a resident in the 1100-block of Douglas Street.

“Upon arrival Fire Crews quickly extinguished the chimney fire by laddering the roof and using a chimney nozzle,” Girard said.

The owner of the home was injured when he attempted to climb on the roof and fight the fire himself. He suffered burns to his feet and was transported to Queen Victoria Hospital for treatment.

Girard reported that only one of three smoke detectors in the house was working at the time.

***

Fire Chief Rob Girard urged residents to install smoke detectors and test them regularly to ensure they’re working properly.

 

Just Posted

Revelstoke Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence nominees announced

The nominees for the annual Revelstoke Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards… Continue reading

‘Police are ready’ for legal pot, say Canadian chiefs

But Canadians won’t see major policing changes as pot becomes legal

Revelstoke City Council makes moves to protect the look of the downtown core

Revelstoke City Council has issued a development permit for a three story… Continue reading

Revelstoke women’s hockey hosts third annual tournament

The Revelstoke Kodiaks women’s hockey team hosted a tournament last weekend. Dawson… Continue reading

Revelstoke Grizzlies 8-0, playing at home on Saturday

The Grizzlies are 8-0 so far in the regular season after another… Continue reading

Sunny skies for the week ahead

Environment Canada is forecasting clear skies for the Okanagan and Shuswap

Trump: Saudi king ‘firmly denies’ any role in Khashoggi mystery

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is travelling to the Middle East to learn more about the fate of the Saudi national

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies at 65

Allen died in Seattle from complications of non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma

South Okanagan man alleged to have exposed genitals to children

Penticton RCMP said incident occurred at the Kiwanis Park

Transport Canada to take new look at rules, research on school bus seatbelts

Canada doesn’t currently require seatbelts on school buses

Sockeye run in Shuswap expected to be close to 2014 numbers

Salute to the Sockeye on Adams River continues until Sunday, Oct. 21 at 4 p.m.

Michelle Mungall’s baby first in B.C. legislature chamber

B.C. energy minister praises support of staff, fellow MLAs

Canucks: Pettersson in concussion protocol, Beagle out with broken forearm

Head coach Travis Green called the hit ‘a dirty play’

5 tips for talking to your kids about cannabis

Health officials recommend sharing a harm reduction-related message.

Most Read