The Trans-Canada Highway around Revelstoke was voted the 12th worst road in B.C. in a recent contest hosted by the British Columbia Automobile Association.
Nearly 4,000 people voted in the BCAA ‘Worst Roads’ online poll, which was open from May 3 to 24. Drivers were invited to nominate the road (or bridge or tunnel) in or near their community that they feel is most in need of improvement. A road could be identified as ‘worst’ either because it is in poor condition, unsafe or frequently congested.
The Trans-Canada Highway near Revelstoke got 49 votes, with damaged pavement being cited as the reason.
BCAA President and CEO Tim Condon said the survey allows BCAA to give province-wide profile to sub-standard roads B.C. “By voting in our first-ever ‘Worst Roads’ survey, B.C. drivers have given BCAA the information and mandate to advocate for road improvements in communities throughout the province,” Condon said. “We’re pleased to see communities like Prince George ‘get the vote out’ in the hopes that their efforts will be rewarded with better and safer roads.
Here are the results. The format is road name/location/number of votes/reason cited:
1. Ospika Boulevard, South Prince George, 552, Damaged pavement
2. Enderby-Mabel Lake Road, Enderby, 403, Damaged pavement
3. Patullo Bridge, Surrey-New West,242, Congestion
4. Harris Road, Saturna Island, 147, Damaged pavement
5. Silver Star Road, Vernon, 117, Damaged pavement
6. Pacific Rim Highway, Vancouver Island, 109, Damaged pavement
7. Hope Princeton Highway, Southern B.C., 85, Damaged pavement
8. Westside Road, Falkland, 81, Damaged pavement
9. Coalmont Road, Princeton, 71, Damaged pavement
10. George Massey Tunnel, Richmond-Delta, 62, Congestion
11. Iron Workers Memorial Bridge, Vancouver – N.Van, 56, Poor/no bike paths
12. Trans-Canada Hwy Revelstoke, Revelstoke, 49, Damaged pavement
13, North Nechako Road, Prince George, 48, Congestion
14, Daly Road, Surrey, 47, Damaged pavement,
15, Oak Street Bridge, Vancouver-Richmond, 46, Damaged pavement
15. West Coast Road, Shirley (Van. Island), 46, Damaged pavement
17. Domano Boulevard, Prince George, 34, Damaged pavement
18. Westside Road, Kelowna -Vernon, 33, Damaged pavement
19. Bamfield Road, Port Alberni, 32, Damaged pavement
20. Balfour-Kaslo-Galena Bay Hwy, West Kootenay, 30, Poor/no bike paths