Two men are homeless after a raging fire destroyed their home west of Revelstoke Friday night.
The fire broke out at a home on 19 Mile Road, just off the Trans-Canada Highway about 30 kilometres west of Revelstoke, sometime in the late evening of Friday, Sept. 24.
Fortunately, the two men who lived in the home were able to escape before the building became fully engulfed in flames. They said no one else was inside.
They were both outside the house, one man sitting inside the car smoking the cigarette, and the other pacing on the street in only a t-shirt.
The man in the t-shirt said he was asleep when he got woken up by the smell of the smoke. He and his friend rushed outside, but were unable to save any of their belongings from the home. He said everything he owned was inside the house.
The home was surrounded by old cars and chopped piles of lumber; a sign advertised wood for sale. The fire had not spread from the home while the Review was at the scene.
Two RCMP officers attended the scene and an ambulance was seen driving west on the highway later on.
The home is in a rural area without fire protection. The men didn’t know the cause of the fire.
More to follow…