Revelstoke firefighters battle a blaze on Loschinski Road west of Revelstoke early Saturday morning.

Revelstoke firefighters battle a blaze on Loschinski Road west of Revelstoke early Saturday morning.

UPDATE: Account started to help victims of west Revelstoke fire

Dennis and Margo Goodman are homeless after their home west of Revelstoke was destroyed in a fire early Saturday morning.

A trust account was started at the Revelstoke Credit Union to help two people after their home was destroyed in a fire early Saturday morning.

Dennis and Margo Goodman are homeless following the fire that broke out in their Loschinski Road home west of Revelstoke early Saturday morning.

Margo’s sister Julie Redlin told the Times Review that the two escaped the fire with almost nothing. Dennis didn’t even time to put on a shirt and shoes before leaving the house. Fortunately, they were able to get their vehicle away from the home.

Revelstoke fire chief Rob Girard says Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services was called to the fire on Dec. 13 at about 1:35 a.m.

The Goodmans were both outside when firefighters arrived, having been alerted to the fire by their smoke detector.

Fire crews went to work on the blaze, beginning with an exterior attack. An interior attack team entered the building as well but were forced to evacuate the building due to the rapidly changing fire conditions.

“It was a tricky fire for our crews as this residence is at the outer limits of our fire protection area within the CSRD where there are no fire hydrants,” said Girard. “Essentially we used 10 loads of water using our water tender, which slowed the process.”

The fire took four hours to put out. 23 firefighters and a full slate of vehicles responded to the fire.

The Goodmans were treated for smoke inhalation but were otherwise physically OK. The family cat was not found.

Girard said the fire appears to be due to an issue with the oil furnace, but that the cause will be investigated by Ken Mount of the CSRD.

Redlin said the furnace was recently installed because they needed a permanent heat source in their home while Dennis went for cancer treatments in Kelowna — normally they used wood heat.

Girard said the fire showed the importance of having a smoke detector in the home.

“It’s a sound we can all live with,” said Girard.

To help Margo and Dennis Goodman, ask to place a deposit in their name at the Revelstoke Credit Union.