PHOTO: Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services battled what appeared to be a chimney fire in a Connaught Avenue home just after midnight on Feb. 3. Significant amounts of smoke poured from the roof of the older building. Firefighters appeared to have a difficult time accessing the source of the fire, as the fight when on for over an hour with large volumes of water being poured into the home. The residents and their cat got out safely, but the home’s future seems questionable considering the amount of smoke and water involved in the incident – although it was difficult to tell how much of the water was getting through the roof. An official report on the incident is not yet available.
Update, Feb. 3, 9:42 p.m.
Revelstoke Fire Chief Rob Girard confirmed none of the residents or 18 firefighters who responded to the blaze were injured.
“This fire presented some challenges for us such [as] high winds, three different roof layers and laddering accesses,” said Girard. It took about three hours for firefighters to extinguish the fire and overhaul the scene.
Firefighters used their new ladder truck, which allowed them to get to the ridge of the building and pull back the flashing, exposing the fire.
They also deployed “salvage covers” to protect the occupants’ belongings.
Girard said the fire was caused by a wood-burning stove that ignited cedar shake roof shingles.
Girard reminded residents to clean pellet and wood stove pipes regularly to avoid creosote build up.
“Lack of maintenance of these wood burning units can be disastrous,” he said, while reminding residents to have a working smoke alarm in your home at all times.
The two occupants are now residing with friends.