Revelstoke cross-country skiers stood on top of the podium six times at the B.C. Championships at the Larch Hills Ski Club near Salmon Arm last weekend.
Revelstoke’s first place finishers were Nelson Luxmoore (Atom boy 1.5 km classic), Alana Brittin (PeeWee girl 3.5 km classic), Emily Suchy (3 km para-sit ski) Megan Evans (Juvenile girl 5 km classic), and Brittany Evans (Junior girl 7 km classic).
Other top-10 finishes were:
– Alexander Gribbon, 8th in the Atom boy 1.5 km classic
– Jaclyn Elliot, 3rd in the Atom girl 1.5 km classic
– Hayden Mallett, 3rd in the PeeWee boy 2 km classic
– Simon Blackie, 8th in the PeeWee boy 2 km classic
– Beth Granstrom, 2nd in the PeeWee girl 3.5 km classic
– Rhy Evans, 6th in the Midget boy 5 km classic
– Tayla Koerber, 9th in the Juvenile girl 5 km classic
– Gordon Mason, 8th in the Juvenile boy 7 km classic
– Hanna Thomson, 6th in the Junior girl 7 km classic
Revelstoke skiers also performed well in the free technique relays on Sunday, with two teams winning their races. In the girls relay, Alana Brittin, Elizabeth Elliot and Beth Granstrom came in first; and in the Junior women’s relay, Brittany Evans, Bronte Viznaugh and Hanna Thomson took top spot.
“All the kids have done an excellent work there and showed that they started to understand what means racing and the racing spirit!” wrote coach Andrei Pascu in an e-mail.
This weekend, five team skiers are off to the BC Winter Games. On March 3, the B.C. Midget Championships take place in Kelowna. From March 11-17 several adult club members will head to the Canadian Masters in Golden and from March 17-24, the Evans’ sisters will be at the National Junior Championships in Quebec City.
Note: The original version of this article that also appeared in the Feb. 22 issue of the newspaper left out Emily Suchy’s gold medal performance in the 3 km para-sit ski race. We apologize for the omission.