history

Summerland Museum reopens

Summerland Museum reopens

Museum to open on July 15 with reduced operating hours

Summerland Museum reopens
Summerland subdivision was developed in 1912

Summerland subdivision was developed in 1912

Victoria Gardens was created by Summerland pioneer couple

Summerland subdivision was developed in 1912
Official opening of the Big Bend Highway at Boat Encampment on July 29, 1940. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo 2754)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for July 2

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

Official opening of the Big Bend Highway at Boat Encampment on July 29, 1940. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo 2754)
The Trout Creek bridge in Summerland was constructed in 1913. The bridge allowed the community to have train service. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland railway bridge was constructed in 1913

False-work tower had to be constructed twice

The Trout Creek bridge in Summerland was constructed in 1913. The bridge allowed the community to have train service. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Barclay’s ranch is site of present-day Summerland

Barclay’s ranch is site of present-day Summerland

Property was purchased by Sir Thomas Shaughnessy in 1902

Barclay’s ranch is site of present-day Summerland
Flooding in the Swan Lake area, 1948. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives photo #30879)

North Okanagan has a long history of flooding

Museum photo from 1948 shows Swan Lake flood

Flooding in the Swan Lake area, 1948. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives photo #30879)
A Vernon man, and the city, is hoping Victoria will buy 234 acres of Okanagan Lake shoreline in Okanagan Landing for further recreational pursuits. (Colliers International photo)

Vernon man urges province to buy Okanagan Lake property

Mike Brown launches petition for government to purchase historic Okanagan Landing property

A Vernon man, and the city, is hoping Victoria will buy 234 acres of Okanagan Lake shoreline in Okanagan Landing for further recreational pursuits. (Colliers International photo)
An image from the Royal BC Museum’s digitized collection of historical photographs shows an Interior Salish woman and child weaving baskets. The image is one of thousands posted in an online database. (Courtesy of the Royal BC Museum)

B.C. museum releases more than 16,000 historical photos of Indigenous life

Digitized images preserved and shared with Indigenous communities

An image from the Royal BC Museum’s digitized collection of historical photographs shows an Interior Salish woman and child weaving baskets. The image is one of thousands posted in an online database. (Courtesy of the Royal BC Museum)
The SS Minto, right, was in service on the Arrow Lakes from 1898 until 1954. It is seen here at the Arrowhead dock in 1900, alongside the SS Trail and SS Rossland. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 745)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for June 18

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

The SS Minto, right, was in service on the Arrow Lakes from 1898 until 1954. It is seen here at the Arrowhead dock in 1900, alongside the SS Trail and SS Rossland. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 745)
The Bridge Work Camp was set up in Summerland during the construction of the Trout Creek Railway Bridge. From 1912 to 1913, there were a total of 10 work camps between Summerland and Osprey Lake. The Main Camp was located beside Lewes Avenue, close to today’s Dirty Laundry Winery. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Camps once housed workers along Kettle Valley Railway

Total of 10 camps were established between Summerland and Osprey Lake

The Bridge Work Camp was set up in Summerland during the construction of the Trout Creek Railway Bridge. From 1912 to 1913, there were a total of 10 work camps between Summerland and Osprey Lake. The Main Camp was located beside Lewes Avenue, close to today’s Dirty Laundry Winery. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The Piggeries was once a popular hunting area near Summerland. (Photo courtesy of B.C. Forests Service)

Piggeries was a popular hunting spot near Summerland

Name came from three early hunters in the area

The Piggeries was once a popular hunting area near Summerland. (Photo courtesy of B.C. Forests Service)
Frank McCarty’s business block on Track Street near Mackenzie Avenue in 1898. The block contained McCarty’s butcher shop, a drug store, and Lawrence Hardware. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo 127)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for June 11

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

  • Jun 12, 2020
Frank McCarty’s business block on Track Street near Mackenzie Avenue in 1898. The block contained McCarty’s butcher shop, a drug store, and Lawrence Hardware. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo 127)
Helmut West founded Okanagan Sausage in 1967. (Submitted Photo)

Sausage factory fire sparks Okanagan history lesson

Former sausage maker leaves a legacy

Helmut West founded Okanagan Sausage in 1967. (Submitted Photo)
Giant’s Head Mountain in Summerland once had a slaughterhouse and a skating rink. (Summerland Museum photo)

Summerland mountain once had slaughterhouse, skating rink

Rink from 1909 was created by Summerland pioneer James Ritchie

  • Jun 7, 2020
Giant’s Head Mountain in Summerland once had a slaughterhouse and a skating rink. (Summerland Museum photo)
Crews building structure at former Summerland train station site

Crews building structure at former Summerland train station site

West Summerland Station will pay tribute to railway history, serve as trail marker

Crews building structure at former Summerland train station site
Revelstoke High School, later used as Mountain View Elementary, in 1960. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 4205)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for June 4

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

Revelstoke High School, later used as Mountain View Elementary, in 1960. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 4205)
The Okanagan sternwheeler parked at the Okanagan Landing Stationhouse, which operated in 1914 but is now a museum in Paddlewheel Park. The Okanagan anding Statiohouse Museum is open for weekends in June, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. by donation. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives photo 2803)

Okanagan Landing museum opens doors

Float back in time to 1914 when sternwheelers transported goods up and down the valley

The Okanagan sternwheeler parked at the Okanagan Landing Stationhouse, which operated in 1914 but is now a museum in Paddlewheel Park. The Okanagan anding Statiohouse Museum is open for weekends in June, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. by donation. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives photo 2803)
Jim Cullen running an engine at Champion Parks near Okotoks, Alberta. (Submitted)

Meet the new director at Revelstoke Railway Museum

Jim Cullen has worked in museums for over two decades

Jim Cullen running an engine at Champion Parks near Okotoks, Alberta. (Submitted)
The former Summerland Arena served the community of Summerland from 1951 until the present arena was opened in 1976. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Arena served Summerland for 26 years

Warm winters meant short ice seasons in early 1950s

The former Summerland Arena served the community of Summerland from 1951 until the present arena was opened in 1976. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Grandstand and crowd for the May Day celebration at Mountain View Park in 1950. (Earle Dickey/Revelstoke Museum & Archives #DN224 photo)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for May 28

New cigar store, first rememberance day and May Day celebrations

Grandstand and crowd for the May Day celebration at Mountain View Park in 1950. (Earle Dickey/Revelstoke Museum & Archives #DN224 photo)