history

The SS Minto, right, was in service on the Arrow Lakes from 1898 until 1954. It is seen here at the Arrowhead dock in 1900, alongside the SS Trail and SS Rossland. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 745)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for June 18

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

The SS Minto, right, was in service on the Arrow Lakes from 1898 until 1954. It is seen here at the Arrowhead dock in 1900, alongside the SS Trail and SS Rossland. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 745)
The Bridge Work Camp was set up in Summerland during the construction of the Trout Creek Railway Bridge. From 1912 to 1913, there were a total of 10 work camps between Summerland and Osprey Lake. The Main Camp was located beside Lewes Avenue, close to today’s Dirty Laundry Winery. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Camps once housed workers along Kettle Valley Railway

Total of 10 camps were established between Summerland and Osprey Lake

The Bridge Work Camp was set up in Summerland during the construction of the Trout Creek Railway Bridge. From 1912 to 1913, there were a total of 10 work camps between Summerland and Osprey Lake. The Main Camp was located beside Lewes Avenue, close to today’s Dirty Laundry Winery. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
The Piggeries was once a popular hunting area near Summerland. (Photo courtesy of B.C. Forests Service)

Piggeries was a popular hunting spot near Summerland

Name came from three early hunters in the area

The Piggeries was once a popular hunting area near Summerland. (Photo courtesy of B.C. Forests Service)
Frank McCarty’s business block on Track Street near Mackenzie Avenue in 1898. The block contained McCarty’s butcher shop, a drug store, and Lawrence Hardware. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo 127)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for June 11

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

  • Jun 12, 2020
Frank McCarty’s business block on Track Street near Mackenzie Avenue in 1898. The block contained McCarty’s butcher shop, a drug store, and Lawrence Hardware. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives photo 127)
Helmut West founded Okanagan Sausage in 1967. (Submitted Photo)

Sausage factory fire sparks Okanagan history lesson

Former sausage maker leaves a legacy

Helmut West founded Okanagan Sausage in 1967. (Submitted Photo)
Giant’s Head Mountain in Summerland once had a slaughterhouse and a skating rink. (Summerland Museum photo)

Summerland mountain once had slaughterhouse, skating rink

Rink from 1909 was created by Summerland pioneer James Ritchie

  • Jun 7, 2020
Giant’s Head Mountain in Summerland once had a slaughterhouse and a skating rink. (Summerland Museum photo)
Crews building structure at former Summerland train station site

Crews building structure at former Summerland train station site

West Summerland Station will pay tribute to railway history, serve as trail marker

Crews building structure at former Summerland train station site
Revelstoke High School, later used as Mountain View Elementary, in 1960. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 4205)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for June 4

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator…

Revelstoke High School, later used as Mountain View Elementary, in 1960. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 4205)
The Okanagan sternwheeler parked at the Okanagan Landing Stationhouse, which operated in 1914 but is now a museum in Paddlewheel Park. The Okanagan anding Statiohouse Museum is open for weekends in June, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. by donation. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives photo 2803)

Okanagan Landing museum opens doors

Float back in time to 1914 when sternwheelers transported goods up and down the valley

The Okanagan sternwheeler parked at the Okanagan Landing Stationhouse, which operated in 1914 but is now a museum in Paddlewheel Park. The Okanagan anding Statiohouse Museum is open for weekends in June, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. by donation. (Greater Vernon Museum and Archives photo 2803)
Jim Cullen running an engine at Champion Parks near Okotoks, Alberta. (Submitted)

Meet the new director at Revelstoke Railway Museum

Jim Cullen has worked in museums for over two decades

Jim Cullen running an engine at Champion Parks near Okotoks, Alberta. (Submitted)
The former Summerland Arena served the community of Summerland from 1951 until the present arena was opened in 1976. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Arena served Summerland for 26 years

Warm winters meant short ice seasons in early 1950s

The former Summerland Arena served the community of Summerland from 1951 until the present arena was opened in 1976. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Grandstand and crowd for the May Day celebration at Mountain View Park in 1950. (Earle Dickey/Revelstoke Museum & Archives #DN224 photo)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for May 28

New cigar store, first rememberance day and May Day celebrations

Grandstand and crowd for the May Day celebration at Mountain View Park in 1950. (Earle Dickey/Revelstoke Museum & Archives #DN224 photo)
In 1993, Summerland’s downtown featured an Old English theme. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland once had Old English theme

Design guidelines were introduced in late 1980s

In 1993, Summerland’s downtown featured an Old English theme. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Revelstoke Elks Lodge committee chairman Clancy Boettger uses old-time railway technology to present a cheque to Revelstoke Railway Museum’s director Jim Cullen to fund COVID-19 materials and supplies to be used in re-opening the Revelstoke Railway Museum. (Submitted)

Revelstoke Railway Museum gets local donation for COVID-19 supplies

The museum does not have a re-opening date yet

Revelstoke Elks Lodge committee chairman Clancy Boettger uses old-time railway technology to present a cheque to Revelstoke Railway Museum’s director Jim Cullen to fund COVID-19 materials and supplies to be used in re-opening the Revelstoke Railway Museum. (Submitted)
R.C. “Dick” Palmer, his father R.M Palmer and his brother Frank Palmer were all active in horticultural research. R.C. Palmer worked in Summerland and was the third superintendent of the Summerland Research Station. He was named Summerland’s Good Citizen of the Year in 1949. (Photos courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Palmer worked with apple breeding program in Summerland

Horticulturalist initiated the apple breeding and the clonal rootstock programs in 1920s

  • May 21, 2020
R.C. “Dick” Palmer, his father R.M Palmer and his brother Frank Palmer were all active in horticultural research. R.C. Palmer worked in Summerland and was the third superintendent of the Summerland Research Station. He was named Summerland’s Good Citizen of the Year in 1949. (Photos courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Lloyd Bennison, Kaare Lien, John McInnes, Howard MacDonald in 1960. Lein was accompanied by McInnes in departing to world championships in Zakopane, Poland, after being named to the Canadian national ski jumping team. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives #6917 photo)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for May 14

New airport, fountain and famous ski jumpers arrive

Lloyd Bennison, Kaare Lien, John McInnes, Howard MacDonald in 1960. Lein was accompanied by McInnes in departing to world championships in Zakopane, Poland, after being named to the Canadian national ski jumping team. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives #6917 photo)
Gertrude Angwin traveled to Mineola and volunteered nursing care in 1918. Mineola was the centre of the influenza epidemic. (Summerland Museum photo)

Spanish influenza affected British Columbia

Epidemic a century ago had three distinct waves

  • May 17, 2020
Gertrude Angwin traveled to Mineola and volunteered nursing care in 1918. Mineola was the centre of the influenza epidemic. (Summerland Museum photo)
Nurses at Queen Victoria Hospital. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives)
Nurses at Queen Victoria Hospital. (Revelstoke Museum and Archives)
Conkle Mountain in Summerland is part of the Penticton group of volcanos. The name originates from pioneer William Conkle. He sold his cattle ranch in Summerland in 1891 and moved to Rock Creek. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)

Summerland mountain part of a group of volcanos

Conkle Mountain in Summerland is one of 16 in the Penticton group of volcanos

Conkle Mountain in Summerland is part of the Penticton group of volcanos. The name originates from pioneer William Conkle. He sold his cattle ranch in Summerland in 1891 and moved to Rock Creek. (Photo courtesy of the Summerland Museum)
Downie Hill on the Big Bend Highway, circa 1940. Earle Dickey, photographer. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 300)

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for May 7

Plane crash, beach constructed at Williamson’s Lake and reward offered for Brianne Wolgram

Downie Hill on the Big Bend Highway, circa 1940. Earle Dickey, photographer. (Revelstoke Museum & Archives photo 300)