Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator of Revelstoke Museum & Archives.
120 Years Ago: Revelstoke Herald, May 16, 1899
The city seal arrived in town. It was designed by Mr. W. R. Graves, and included the city motto, “opulens sine dubitate,” which translates to “wealthy without doubt.”
110 Years Ago: Mail-Herald, May 15, 1909
The Molsons Bank building was moved onto First Street in preparation for construction of the new bank building. Only the bank vaults remained. The bank tellers continued to operate in the old building until the new one was completed. The old bank later became Mull’s Pool Hall, operated by Harold Mulholland.
100 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 15, 1919
Special Locating Engineer O’Grady arrived in Revelstoke and paid a visit to the scene of the operations for road extension from Boulder to Taft. Full construction would begin once all snow had left the region. Mr. O’Grady had begun staking out the road. The road construction was expected to provide work for a large number of returned men. The highway between Revelstoke and Sicamous was not completed until 1922.
90 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 15, 1929
A change in the ownership of Bews’ Drug Store took place when Harry Bews and W.E. Donaldson acquired the interest of Walter Bews, who began his drug store business in Revelstoke in 1898. Walter Bews moved to New Westminster in 1922, leaving the office of Mayor which he held at that time.
80 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 19, 1939
Xavier Holdener, the owner of Enterprise Brewery, died at the age of 63. Holdener was born in Switzerland, where he learned the art of brewing. He came to Revelstoke in the late 1920s to take over as brewmaster at the Enterprise, which had been in business since 1897. Holdener later bought the business from original owner Thomas Downs. After Holdener’s death, the business was managed by his sons Arnold and Harold, and his wife Rose.
70 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 19, 1949
The Big Bend Highway opened for the summer on May 15. The highway followed the bend of the Columbia River between Golden and Revelstoke. It was opened in 1940 and was the only highway route between the two cities until the Rogers Pass Highway opened in 1962. The Big Bend was closed down each winter.
60 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 14, 1959
In an effort to solve the critical local power situation, MLA A.W. Lundell has been in touch with Victoria for the past several months. Several proposals have been advanced for the acquiring of bulk power from the B.C. Power Commission, but so far, these have been met with legal entanglements. The Power Commission mobile unit, which arrived here last month is still in use. The city diesel unit broke down as is being repaired.
50 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 15, 1969
Gordon and Heather Bissett, owners of Defoe’s Motel on Victoria Road, said that they are converting the motel into an Alpine Lodge. Drawings were being prepared by Leavenworth, Washington designer Heinz Ulbricht. The Bissetts encouraged all business owners to follow the Alpine theme.
20 Years Ago: Revelstoke Review, May 14, 1999
Revelstoke Museum and Archives celebrated International Museums Day on May 18 by inviting the public for the official opening of the new Ruby Nobbs Community Archives on the second floor of the museum building. Volunteer firefighters came to move the 200 archival boxes from the basement to the second floor. “That was an incredible help,” curator Cathy English said. “I had visions of carrying one box a day for 200 days, and they had it all done in 40 minutes.”