No decision yet on Sagmoen hearing

Publication ban in effect covering media’s fight against publication ban

UPDATE: 2:00 p.m.

A lawyer representing CBC and Global put forward an argument to ease a publication ban effectively blocking the trial of Curtis Sagmoen, 38, however, Justice Alison Beames had put into effect another temporary publication ban Monday covering things heard in today’s presentation.

Justice Beames said she may have been ambitious in her hopes to have a decision regarding the voir dire today. Her remarks will come at a later date.

Tomorrow morning at 10 a.m., court will resume to hear Justice Beames’ decision regarding the publication ban, which covers evidence and exhibits presented in the voir dire.

If the ban is lifted, details of last week’s four-day hearing will be allowed to be reported by media.

ORIGINAL:

The trial for 38-year-old Curtis Sagmoen resumes today at 10 a.m. and Justice Alison Beames said she may have her decision on the voir dire trial.

Sagmoen is accused of threatening a sex worker with a shotgun while wearing a mask in August 2017. He has been charged with uttering threats, careless discharge of a firearm, possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose, concealing his face and possession of a controlled substance. Sagmoen pleaded not guilty on all five counts on Sept. 9.

The Crown and defence presented their final arguments Thursday, the details of which can’t be revealed due to a temporary publication ban.

READ MORE: Similkameen orchardists file lawsuit over ancestral remains site

READ MORE: Okanagan vinyl fest spins into the south Okanagan

Media outlets, including CBC and Global, will be fighting the publication ban protecting the voir dire hearing on Monday at 10 a.m.

Sagmoen was arrested in October 2017 and has remained in custody in connection to his alleged crimes in late August of that year.

Shortly after his arrest, his parents’ farm was the focus of an extensive search, where police discovered the remains of Traci Genereaux, 18, who had been missing.

No charges have been laid in connection to her death.

Sagmoen has been accused in four separate incidents of threatening or assaulting sex workers.

This includes an incident in Maple Ridge back in 2013, which Sagmoen pleaded guilty to in February.

For those charges, he was sentenced to 30 days in jail followed by 24 months of probation.

Justice Beames said Thursday, following the final arguments, dates in the week of Dec. 9 and Dec. 16, 2019, are being considered for trial proper.

Defence lawyer Lisa Helps said Sagmoen wishes to appear in court on Monday.

— with files from Ashley Wadhwani

READ MORE: Conservatives promise tax cut they say will address liberal increases

sig

Just Posted

Revelstoke takes the plunge to support the Special Olympics

Fundraisers swam in Williamson Lake on Oct. 20

Rain in forecast for Okanagan-Shuswap region

Mixed bag of clouds, sun and showers forecast for the week ahead

Glimpses of Revelstoke’s past for Oct. 17

Items from Revelstoke newspapers, as gleaned and edited by Cathy English, curator… Continue reading

Fourth cannabis store application before Revelstoke City Council

Council will be discussing at their 3 p.m. meeting on Oct. 22

Summerland council agrees to 30-year lease with steam railway

Tourist train has been operating as an attraction in Summerland since 1995

Greta Thunberg meets with First Nations chief in Fort McMurray

Thunberg has turned her protest against climate change into a global movement

Speeding a concern on Summerland streets

Police observe fast motorists in town and on Highway 97

Canucks hang on for 3-2 win over Rangers in New York

Vancouver scores three times in first period

More beef products recalled due to possible E. coli contamination

The food safety watchdog has been investigating possible E. coli 0157:H7

Roads contractor waits for snow removal equipment as winter looms

The newly-hired highway maintenance company serving the region is hitting some bumps… Continue reading

Most Read