A rapid response by Revelstoke Fire Rescue Services may have prevented a vehicle fire from spreading and destroying a neighbouring home Thursday morning.
The fire broke out sometime around 5 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 14, at Nelles Ranch at 1315 Highway 23 South, in the Begbie Bench area.
The fire department was first notified of a vehicle fire at around 5:30 a.m., however while they were on route to the scene, the call was upgraded to a residential structure fire, said fire chief Rob Girard. There were 10 people at the home, some of who were said to be disabled and needed help.
15 fire fighters attended the scene. They put out the fire on a mini van and conducted an aggressive exterior attack to prevent the fire from spreading to the home where the people were. The fire was put out in just under one hour, said Girard.
“I am very pleased with this save based on the distance, the number and type of occupants of the residence,” said Girard. “The quick initial attack by our firefighters really made a difference today.”
The home was ventilated to clear out the smoke and the residents have been able to stay there. One volunteer from Emergency Social Services was assisting them.
Girard said the fire was likely caused by a vehicle malfunction, but because the home is outside city limits, the fire department does not have jurisdiction to investigate any further.