Curtis Wayne Sagmoen is escorted into a British Columbia Sheriff Service vehicle as rallier shout “No more stolen sisters” outside Vernon Law Courts Monday, Oct. 22. (Parker Crook/Morning Star)

UPDATE: Sagmoen to stand trial

Curtis Wayne Sagmoen will appear on all three Vernon matters this week

Update: 3 p.m.

After nearly a full day of preliminary inquiry discussion, Curtis Wayne Sagmoen will stand trial on counts of assault and assault causing bodily harm.

“I commit you to stand trial on these counts,” Judge Richard Hewson said at the culmination of the inquiry in Vernon provincial court Monday, Dec. 10.

Earlier in the day, defence lawyer Lisa Helps sought and was granted, a publication ban on information arising from the hearing and any details pertaining to the witnesses called to the stand. That publication ban remains in effect until the evidence is heard at trial.

Sagmoen’s next appearance on that file is slated for Jan. 7, 2019 to coincide with a second fix date appearance for charges on which he was committed to stand trial in October.

His next appearance in Vernon is Thursday, Dec. 13, for a mischief trial scheduled for one day in provincial court.

Sagmoen is also remanded in custody on separate assault charges currently before the Port Coquitlam courts. A five-day trial for that file beings Feb. 4.

None of the charges against Sagmoen have been proven in court.

As with all of Sagmoen’s previous appearances, a rally in support of missing and murdered women took to the courthouse steps during the morning break and following the conclusion of the inquiry.

Rally organizer Jody Leon said they rally in support of missing local women, which includes Caitlin Potts, Ashley Simpson, Deanna Wertz, Nicole Bell and 18-year-old Vernon woman Traci Genereaux, whose remains were found on the Silver Creek farm owned by Sagmoen’s parents. No charges have been laid connected to her death and no suspects have been named by police.

Leon said that they will be on hand for Thursday’s trial.

—-

Update: 12:45 p.m.

The preliminary inquiry into charges of assault and assault causing bodily harm is underway in Vernon Law Courts.

Defence lawyer Lisa Helps requested and was granted a publication ban on information arising in the hearing and details pertaining to witnesses called to the stand.

Judge Richard Hewson is presiding over the inquiry, which is scheduled to last for two days.

As with all of Sagmoen’s prior appearances, a rally in support of missing and murdered women took to the steps during the morning break.

Helps said that she will be asking for the Supreme Court file, also before Vernon Law Courts Monday, to go over to Jan. 7.

—-

Original

Nearly a month after his last appearance in Vernon Law Courts, Curtis Wayne Sagmoen is back before the courts on all three Vernon files this week.

Sagmoen will stand before a provincial court judge Monday, Dec. 10 and Tuesday, Dec. 11 for a preliminary inquiry on one count each of assault and assault causing bodily harm. The inquiry, which begins in courtroom 201 at 9:30 a.m., is set to last for two days.

Related: Who is Curtis Sagmoen?

Meanwhile in Vernon Supreme Court Dec. 10, Sagmoen will appear to fix a date on another matter in which he faces charges of disguising face with the intent to commit an offence, intentionally discharging a firearm while reckless, use of a firearm committing an indictable offence, uttering threats and possession of a controlled substance.

Bail was denied on those charges Nov. 14. Defence lawyer Lisa Helps put forward the bail application after the conclusion of a preliminary inquiry Oct. 23, in which Judge Jeremy Guild committed him to stand trial.

Sagmoen will also appear Thursday, Dec. 13 for a mischief trial.

None of the charges against him on any of the files have been proven in court.


@VernonNews
parker.crook@vernonmorningstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

BC Tree Fruits downtown Kelowna office for sale at $5.2M

HM Commercial Group listed the property for sale on Thursday

Revelstoke food bank moving to new location next week

Starting Oct. 7 food bank pick up will take place at 416 2nd St. West

Out of the shadows: Illuminating Revelstoke’s overdose crisis

The city has one of the highest illicit drug death rates per capita in B.C.

Two new COVID-19 cases announced in Interior Health region

The total number of cases in the region is at 533

More wildfire smoke to fill the Okanagan

The smoke is coming from wildfires in California but is expected to be much lighter

B.C. counts 125 new COVID-19 cases, up to 1,284 active

No new deaths or health care facility outbreaks

‘It’s a nightmare’: Northern B.C. family desperate after living in hotel for a year

Renae Podgorney says because of a lack of rentals, she’s now applying to rent a one-bedroom unit

Outbreak at North Okanagan care facility not COVID-19

Scenario C respiratory illness outbreak declared Sept. 25 by Interior Health

Costs climb to more than $100K for BC SPCA to care for animals in B.C. farm seizure

Eight puppies, of the 97 animals seized have now died from parvovirus enteritis

Highway 6 limited in North Okanagan

Another crash reported by DriveBC following morning logging truck rollover

Join Black Press Media and Do Some Good

Pay it Forward program supports local businesses in their community giving

B.C. VOTES 2020: Wilkinson to stop 24-hour camping in city parks

Ban on ‘unsafe roadside panhandling’ to be enforced

West Kelowna start-up wins Emmy for virtual production on Red Bull Rampage

XR Media Group won the Outstanding Digital Innovation Award

RCMP seize guns, drugs, motorhome from Okanagan residence

Search warrant executed in relation to an ongoing investigation into drug trafficking

Most Read