Thieves make off with three snowmobiles overnight in Revelstoke

Three snowmobiles stolen in two different incidents in Revelstoke last night. RCMP warn people to secure their sleds.

Winter is here and snowmobile thieves have returned to Revelstoke.

The Revelstoke RCMP reported two thefts of vehicles and snowmobiles early Tuesday morning.

First, at about 2:45 a.m., a Ford F-350 pickup truck and Ski-Doo Summit snowmobile were stolen from the 700 block of Eighth Street East.

Three hours later, RCMP received a report that a Dodge truck, snowmobile trailer and two Polaris RMK snowmobiles were stolen from Oscar Street in Southside.

At about 8:30 a.m., the Dodge truck and the trailer were found, but the snowmobiles were not located. The Ford F-350 was found not long after, without the snowmobile.

Staff-Sgt. Kurt Grabinsky said he would not reveal where the trucks were found, saying he hoped that information could be used in the investigation.

“They were recovered in very close proximity to where they were stolen,” he added.

He said there was no evidence the thefts were by the same people, but based on the fact the thefts were done in close time and proximity to each other that “it would only make sense this was planned and by the same people.”

“We’ll be working very diligently to figure out if this was organized crime, what exactly was going on and, as mentioned in the news release, really trying to encourage people to come up with prevention methods,” he said.

The RCMP is reminding residents to secure their snowmobiles with a variety of theft deterrents, such as video cameras, chains and locks. “Anything to keep it safe and combat the theft,” he said.

Grabinsky said one trailer was well-protected with chains and a locking hitch, but the thieves were still able to make off with the truck, trailer and sleds.

“We’re talking people with fairly aggressive means,” he said. “I’m not going to hide it from people – they need to combat it with fairly aggressive means as well.”

Grabinsky noted that Revelstoke is one of the top spots for snowmobile theft in Canada and he said RCMP would be using the bait sled program at some point this winter to try and tackle the problem.

“We rate success on how we do the next year, and until we start really solving this problem, we’re not finding success yet, and we’re trying to do that,” he said.

The RCMP is asking anyone with information about the thefts to contact the detachment at 250-837-5255 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

 

 

Just Posted

Skier dies at Revelstoke Mountain Resort

Cause of death has not been released

Readers weigh in: Should shock collars on dogs be banned?

We asked and you had a lot to say. Here’s some of what

Arrest made in Kamloops kidnapping case

Robert James Rennie was located and arrested Feb. 21 by the Penticton RCMP

Okanagan home to 2 of the best North American lake towns

TripAdvisor gives a nod to Kelowna and Osoyoos

Fashion Fridays: Must have wardrobe basics

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Golds basketball team tops rankings ahead of Okanagan Valley Championships

Salmon Arm team heads straight to semifinals after stellar season

UPDATE: Highway 97A reopened north of Vernon

Three people are in hospital following crash that has one in critical condition

Guards protest firing of fellow officers charged with assault at B.C. prison

Corrections officers demonstrated in Maple Ridge on Friday afternoon

Parole angers parents of Okanagan manslaughter victim

Tal Kalum LaRiviere was arrested in Alberta Feb. 18. He had previously been granted day parole

National Energy Board approves Trans Mountain pipeline again

Next step includes cabinet voting on the controversial expansion

R. Kelly charged with 10 counts of sexual abuse

R&B star has been accused of sexual misconduct involving women and underage girls for years

School district facing capacity challenges

Rising enrolment, outdated data and classroom changes prompt discussions

More sailings coming to 10 BC Ferries’ routes

Transportation Minister Claire Trevena said the sailings were originally cut in 2014

Most Read