West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a blaze caused by an unattended candle on Sunday, Dec.8. (Metro Creative photo)

West Kelowna house fire demonstrates danger posed by candles

West Kelowna Fire Rescue says an unattended candle caused the Sunday afternoon fire.

A small structure fire in West Kelowna has prompted a warning from the fire department about the dangers of candles and leaving them unattended.

At 12:49 p.m. on Sunday, Dec. 8, West Kelowna Fire Rescue responded to a report of smoke coming from a home in the 3000 block of Stone Ridge Drive. Two engines from the fire hall with nine firefighters as well as a safety officer responded to the call and quickly found a small fire on the main floor of the home. The first crew on scene quickly extinguished it.

Read More: Rutland’s annual Christmas light-up brings the community together

Read More: Chris Griffin to headline Cool Ranch Comedy’s last show of the year

None of the home’s occupants were home at the time of the fire and no pets were located either. According to the fire department, an unattended candle caused the fire. Assistant Fire Chief Lionel Bateman stated that damage from the fire itself was minimal but the home suffered considerable smoke damage.

A statement from the fire department recommends people take extra care if they will be lighting their homes with candles over the holiday season and suggests using battery-operated flameless candles, which can look, smell, and feel like real candles.

Read More: Brain injury from domestic abuse a ‘public health crisis,’ says B.C. researcher

Read More: Rockets extend point streak to eight games with shootout win over Blades


@SalmonArm
jim.elliot@saobserver.net

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Okanagan Spirits donating free sanitizer to those most at risk during COVID-19 pandemic

The Okanagan distillery has ceased spirits operations and has produced over 3,000 litres of sanitizer since March 26

Social media a blessing and a curse during time of crisis: B.C. communication expert

‘In moments of crisis, fear is very real and palpable,’ says SFU’s Peter Chow-White

Living with faith

Bea Buhler is a pillar of strength at the Alliance Church

Interior Health officials outline pandemic response in virtual town hall

Kelowna-Lake County MLA Norm Letnick moderates digital discussion, Q&A with Interior Health leadership

Second Vernon-area high school exposed to COVID-19

Kalamalka Secondary School staff, students urged to self-isolate if showing symptoms

First responders continue to rally in support of health care workers in Kelowna

Pandosy Street was packed with supporters for the second night in a row

Evening world update: U.S. restrictions extended 30 days; NY deaths near 1,000

Comprehensive world update, with the latest developments in the COVID-19 crisis

‘It’s up to us: Recently-returned B.C. couple urges Canadians to take COVID-19 seriously

Garrett Kucher and Tory Apostoliuk make it home after almost a week of lockdown in Spain

‘Nothing concrete’: Tenants, landlords lack details after B.C. unveils COVID-19 rental aid

Single mom in Golden says she’s already going to the food bank after being laid off

Canada will make sure masks sent by China meet quality standards: Trudeau

Chinese Embassy tweeted that China was sending 30,000 medical masks along with gowns, gloves and goggles

B.C. issues guidelines about distancing, reusable bags to grocery stores amid COVID-19

Hand sanitizer and markers to keep lines two metres are apart are needed, province says

Vehicle goes up in smoke in Okanagan garage

Fire department on-scene in 200 block of Poplar Point Drive near Knox Mountain in Kelowna

COSAR rescues two lost hikers from Okanagan Mountain Park

Two male hikers were overdue from a hike they left for on the morning of March 28

Most Read